Summer sausage cheese

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hugo smoker

Original poster
Jun 1, 2016
I have been using high temp cheese but recently had some summer sausage from a cherokee meats and the cheese was super creamy could it have been velveta?

I have not tried this but.... a friend was at the only market that sells hi-temp cheese, but with hunting season in full swing they were sold out. They recommended that he try feta cheese in his summer sausage.

Not tried this either but there's a guy I watch on Youtube that swears on cheap american cheese. Not saying Velveeta won't work but I'd try some some american from the deli first. I am of the opinion the high temp stuff has no real flavor.

Not tried this either but there's a guy I watch on Youtube that swears on cheap american cheese. Not saying Velveeta won't work but I'd try some some american from the deli first. I am of the opinion the high temp stuff has no real flavor.
I agree high temp has no flavor I will try the deli

Reactions: zwiller
I have been using high temp cheese but recently had some summer sausage from a cherokee meats and the cheese was super creamy could it have been velveta?
Hi there and welcome!

I don't have direct experience with this but saw some videos where a guy swore by using blocks of processed cheese product.

This stuff was not Velveeta and seemed to have a much firmer texture BUT was a processed cheese product. Velveeta is also a processed cheese product.

I think this cheese was more like a kraft singles type cheese product more than a velveeta cheese product.

He swore by it in the video and it did what you are talking about.

Again I have not done it but I read somewhere on here that someone recommended taking a block of cheddar and running chunk slices through an air dehydrator at non melting temps. So just removing the moisture from it. Seemed viable to me.

Wish I had actual helpful information for you but maybe this will get you closer. Let us know what you land on :)

Reactions: hugo smoker
I have used blocked cheddar shredded before with Owens S.Sausage seasoning and worked fine. More taste than high temp

I generally use Tillamook sharp or extra sharp in my sausages. It's a fairly dry cheese that pretty much stays put during the smoking process.

I've also stopped using Hi Temp cheese for lack of flavor... I just process the 8 oz blocks down to 1/4'' cubes... Sure, it takes a minute or five.. Between slicing it up and separating the cubes... use 1 lb (2- 8oz blocks) into 10 lbs of meat ...

I don't get much flavor from the high temp cheese either . I just buy some good cheese and slice it up with the sausage and it tastes great ! High temp just adds character and I can't taste that.

I cube blocked cheese like jckdanls 07, but leave it in the fridge to dry a little before adding It to the mix. Doesn’t seem to melt.

Reactions: JoePD
American (Velveeta) processed cheese is a "food product" versus natural cheese in that it has emulsifiers (stabilizers) to prevent breaking under heat.
Hmm that is the point of HT cheese, too
I like regular cheese. My Big Chief blew the element a while back and haven't replaced.
I've been using the pellet pooper and it has trouble with lower temps to pasteurize so my last few batches are with high temp. I use pepper jack mixed with cheddar.

Man this has me thinking of shredding a block of cheese onto a stainless screen then setting that out infront of a fan to dry up and then use the dried shredded cheese hahaha.

Not that I'm doing cheese sausage anytime soon but I have been mentally filing away all the jalapeno and cheese sausage info I come across.
(FYI, dehydrated jalapeno + jalapeno powder seem to be the way to go for more jalapeno flavor... from what I read)

Reactions: zwiller
Like others have said, I use a block cheese cubed up by hand then frozen before adding to the mass. The longer the cheese has aged, the dryer it is, and will melt less.

I thought several of the hi-temp cheddar cheeses had less flavor, but high temp blue cheese is an exception. I use it more in meatballs and meatloaf, but it's really flavorful.

I have a local cheese plant, i go in and grab a firm cheese like cheddar, make some big chunks out of it and throw in in the food processor, and pulse it until its the size of crumbles that I want for what ever the sausage is I am making. Seems to with stand the temps that it take for sausage just fine.
I did however stop at a cheese plant on vacation that makes their own hi temp cheese so I bought a couple bags to try this winter to see if there was any difference.

I found this thread very interesting:

I found this thread very interesting:
I think that was one of the dehydration posts I saw not too long ago!

Ended up using deli block american cheese.

Attachments

• 20221127_073515.jpg
    20221127_073515.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 28
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky