Summer sausage cheese

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

hugo smoker

Original poster
Jun 1, 2016
I have been using high temp cheese but recently had some summer sausage from a cherokee meats and the cheese was super creamy could it have been velveta?

thirdeye

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 1, 2019
The Cowboy State - Wyoming
I have not tried this but.... a friend was at the only market that sells hi-temp cheese, but with hunting season in full swing they were sold out. They recommended that he try feta cheese in his summer sausage.

zwiller

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 16, 2016
Sandusky, OH
Not tried this either but there's a guy I watch on Youtube that swears on cheap american cheese. Not saying Velveeta won't work but I'd try some some american from the deli first. I am of the opinion the high temp stuff has no real flavor.

hugo smoker

Original poster
Jun 1, 2016
Not tried this either but there's a guy I watch on Youtube that swears on cheap american cheese. Not saying Velveeta won't work but I'd try some some american from the deli first. I am of the opinion the high temp stuff has no real flavor.
I agree high temp has no flavor I will try the deli

Reactions: zwiller

tallbm

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 30, 2016
Texas
I have been using high temp cheese but recently had some summer sausage from a cherokee meats and the cheese was super creamy could it have been velveta?
Hi there and welcome!

I don't have direct experience with this but saw some videos where a guy swore by using blocks of processed cheese product.

This stuff was not Velveeta and seemed to have a much firmer texture BUT was a processed cheese product. Velveeta is also a processed cheese product.

I think this cheese was more like a kraft singles type cheese product more than a velveeta cheese product.

He swore by it in the video and it did what you are talking about.

Again I have not done it but I read somewhere on here that someone recommended taking a block of cheddar and running chunk slices through an air dehydrator at non melting temps. So just removing the moisture from it. Seemed viable to me.

Wish I had actual helpful information for you but maybe this will get you closer. Let us know what you land on :)

Reactions: hugo smoker

Winterrider

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 29, 2018
North Dakota
I have used blocked cheddar shredded before with Owens S.Sausage seasoning and worked fine. More taste than high temp

DougE

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Apr 13, 2010
Richmond,KY
I generally use Tillamook sharp or extra sharp in my sausages. It's a fairly dry cheese that pretty much stays put during the smoking process.

JckDanls 07

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Sep 10, 2011
Tampa area, Florida.
I've also stopped using Hi Temp cheese for lack of flavor... I just process the 8 oz blocks down to 1/4'' cubes... Sure, it takes a minute or five.. Between slicing it up and separating the cubes... use 1 lb (2- 8oz blocks) into 10 lbs of meat ...

poacherjoe

Smoking Fanatic
Nov 7, 2019
Central Ca
I don't get much flavor from the high temp cheese either . I just buy some good cheese and slice it up with the sausage and it tastes great ! High temp just adds character and I can't taste that.

cvan

Fire Starter
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 5, 2020
I cube blocked cheese like jckdanls 07, but leave it in the fridge to dry a little before adding It to the mix. Doesn’t seem to melt.

Reactions: JoePD

Fueling Around

Master of the Pit
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 10, 2018
FL winter, MN summer
American (Velveeta) processed cheese is a "food product" versus natural cheese in that it has emulsifiers (stabilizers) to prevent breaking under heat.
Hmm that is the point of HT cheese, too
I like regular cheese. My Big Chief blew the element a while back and haven't replaced.
I've been using the pellet pooper and it has trouble with lower temps to pasteurize so my last few batches are with high temp. I use pepper jack mixed with cheddar.

tallbm

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 30, 2016
Texas
Man this has me thinking of shredding a block of cheese onto a stainless screen then setting that out infront of a fan to dry up and then use the dried shredded cheese hahaha.

Not that I'm doing cheese sausage anytime soon but I have been mentally filing away all the jalapeno and cheese sausage info I come across.
(FYI, dehydrated jalapeno + jalapeno powder seem to be the way to go for more jalapeno flavor... from what I read)

Reactions: zwiller

DanMcG

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 3, 2009
Central NY
Like others have said, I use a block cheese cubed up by hand then frozen before adding to the mass. The longer the cheese has aged, the dryer it is, and will melt less.

thirdeye

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 1, 2019
The Cowboy State - Wyoming
I thought several of the hi-temp cheddar cheeses had less flavor, but high temp blue cheese is an exception. I use it more in meatballs and meatloaf, but it's really flavorful.

jimmyinsd

Smoking Fanatic
I have a local cheese plant, i go in and grab a firm cheese like cheddar, make some big chunks out of it and throw in in the food processor, and pulse it until its the size of crumbles that I want for what ever the sausage is I am making. Seems to with stand the temps that it take for sausage just fine.
I did however stop at a cheese plant on vacation that makes their own hi temp cheese so I bought a couple bags to try this winter to see if there was any difference.

BigW.

Smoking Fanatic
May 13, 2019
Nebraska
I found this thread very interesting:

tallbm

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 30, 2016
Texas
I found this thread very interesting:
I think that was one of the dehydration posts I saw not too long ago!

hugo smoker

Original poster
Jun 1, 2016
Ended up using deli block american cheese.

Attachments

• 20221127_073515.jpg
    20221127_073515.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 22

Hot Threads