Suggestions on inexpensive wood smoker

Discussion in 'Wood Smokers' started by mrad, Apr 16, 2018.

1. mrad

mrad Meat Mopper

I am starting to look on Craigs list for used and inexpensive ($100-$200) wood fired smoker.

I currently have a Blazn Grill Works Grid Iron and a GMG Davey Crocket pellet grills. I will continue to use these 90% of the time but on occasions when I want a heavier smoke profile and a few hours open where I can babysit the stick burner. I may even start briskets on the woodburner and transfer to the pellet grill after 3-4 hours.

I had a Brinkman 4-5 years ago before I got my pellet grills. Wasn't happy with it. the grate would bend every time it was used because of the heat and weight of the wood/charcoal on it. It was also difficult to hold and maintain temps.

I know I wont be getting high quality, but an looking for another toy that is functional.

Any suggestions?

2. There is an Old Country offset smoker that retails for about $400, for sale right now for $200. That’s in New Orleans, but it’s just an example. I found my Lang on Craigslist. Just be patient and look daily, you will find something eventually.

3. SmokinAl

SmokinAl Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

In my opinion, your not going to be happy with a cheap offset. You will need to do a lot of mods to it, to get it right.
    If you were me I would save up until I could afford at least a smoker made out of 1/4" steel. They are going to cost you more, but they will last a lifetime & you can pass it down to your kids. And they are much easier to use. My Lang will hold temps steady all day long without hardly any tinkering.
    Al

hillbillyrkstr likes this.
  4. mrad

mrad Meat Mopper

5. SmokinAl

SmokinAl Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Yep, that is one of the original OK Joes!
    You will get a lot of good years out of that smoker!
    Al