Suggestions for sausage.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kawboy

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 20, 2015
Central Minnesota
Wife picked up a pork butt earlier this week to smoke this weekend. Doesn't look like I'll have enough time this weekend to do it. I will be smoking some bacon though, so not a wasted weekend. Anyway I thought why not make it into sausage. I have pork butt, tender quick, 35 mm casings and various spices. Thought about hot links, andoulle, or chorizo. Anyone have a somewhat easy-ish recomendation and or recipe? I do make summer sausage fairly often.

IMG_20190127_145239.jpg
Went with five pounds of jalapeno cheddar beer brats on the right and four pounds of chorizo on the left. Added three quarters of a pound of venison to the chorizo. Haven't tested the brats yet, but the chorizo rocks. Boy #2 helped, so that was kinda fun. Looking forward to trying the brats.

Looks good. Anything with TQ, Bearcarver's recipes are the place to look...JJ

I am late, but what recipe did you use for Chirizo? I want to start making it from deer as raw sausage we can add to things. I experiments with pork butt recently but its way to fatty for loose sausage for me.

I copied this beer brats recipe from someone on here and it is really simple and really good.
Beer brat recipe.JPG

I just found this on the internet. I think it's good, but I have Minnesota taste-buds☺. I only used about 3/4 pounds of venison. I printed off that brat recipe awhile ago, but haven't tried it yet. Ingredients
  • 3 1/2 to 4 pounds of coarsely ground pork butt NOT LEAN
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 3 tbsp chilli powder
  • 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper more or less to taste
  • 2 tbsp granulated onion
  • 3 tbsp smoked paprika
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • 1 1/2 tbsp chipotle powder
  • 2 tbsp brown sugar
  • 1 tbsp salt
  • 1 tsp black pepper
  • 4 cloves finely minced fresh garlic
  • 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
  • 1/4 cup water
Instructions
  1. Mix together the cumin, chili powder, cayenne pepper, granulated onion, smoked paprika, oregano, chipotle powder, brown sugar, salt, pepper and minced garlic.
  2. Divide the ground pork into roughly four portions, adding each portion to a large bowl one at a time and creating layers by sprinkling 1/4 of the spice mix over each layer of meat. This helps to evenly distribute the seasoning through the sausage without over mixing it.
  3. Mix together the red wine vinegar and water.
  4. Pour over the layered pork and seasoning and mix well.
  5. Stuff into prepared sausage casings or portion into one pound packages and freeze for later use.

Those look great .
Thank you. The brats were pretty good, but better warmed up the next day for lunch. I think they need a little something, but the wife told me to shut up and just be happy with them☺. Anxious to try some tacos with the chorizo. Work is cancelled for tomorrow, so maybe tacos for lunch. Gonna be straight temp of 35 below tomorrow, with wind chill of neg 65.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky