Suger in Bacon Cure

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

LoadToad1A7

Original poster
Jun 13, 2023
I am getting ready to cure a pork belly for bacon and in the past I used brown sugar in the rub. I did not like the way it fried up after it was smoked. It always seemed to burn really fast. I am going to use white sugar this time but I do not want to use a lot. What is the minimum amount of sugar needed in the cure or do I even have to use sugar.

Reactions: JLeonard
I could be wrong so please correct me if I am. I think sugar is mainly added to offset the saltiness and add a little color. So you could probably add as little as you want. I'm sure some of the more knowledgeable people will jump in.

As Jim said above, sugar is not even need but if you do use it to balance the salt percentage. Generally about half as much sugar as salt,

For instance my preferred salt is 1.5% and sugar at .75% but I have ran the sugar up and anything past 1% sugar will burn easy.

You can reduce the amount , or leave it out all together if you like . I use brown sugar , or dextrose . Never used just white by itself . I have mixed white and brown together .
I find that cooking the bacon in the oven on a foil lined sheet pan controls burning .

Thanks everyone for the replies. I think I will give Dextrose a try, I have never used that before. How about 1.5% salt and say a .50% Dextrose work out to balance the salt?

I like 1% white sugar, and either fry bacon in a CI skillet or bake on a foil lined sheet pan with parchment paper. No issues with burning.

You could try maple sugar, it's coarse and can be ground down a bit, or sugar in the raw which handles heat better than brown sugar. Some folks will sprinkle sugar on bacon at the very end of frying and just let it melt in. When I make these appetizers I sprinkle additional sugar on toward the end and don't have burn issues either.
EABnTkq.jpg

I like 1% white sugar, and either fry bacon in a CI skillet or bake on a foil lined sheet pan with parchment paper. No issues with burning.

You could try maple sugar, it's coarse and can be ground down a bit, or sugar in the raw which handles heat better than brown sugar. Some folks will sprinkle sugar on bacon at the very end of frying and just let it melt in. When I make these appetizers I sprinkle additional sugar on toward the end and don't have burn issues either.
View attachment 697545
Those look awesome, I might give the raw auger a try. I want to try and get these going today so need to head to the store.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky