Sudden Change in Plans! How do I handle it? Help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

moec

Original poster
Sep 5, 2015
Hello All,

I have 5 racks of baby backs about 75% of the way done and my sister called and said she made a mistake about the day of the picnic; its tomorrow!

I usually do a foil rap stage (about now) and put some brown sugar/honey in the rap and put them back on the smoker.

So, what are my options?

1. Finish them and just reheat tomorrow.

2. Take them off now, foil rap them individually and reheat/finish them in the oven tomorrow.

3. Some other idea?

I'm pretty pissed right now and just want to figure out the best way to recover.

Thanks,

Moe

Finish them..... Then wrap in cling wrap tightly and store...

You unwrap tomorow and just grill them and sauce.

Most large scale outfits like Sticky Fingers cooks ribs just a couple nights a week and then just reheats on a grill to serve. 

Yep finish them off.

I like to cut them into individual ribs and place into a foil pan, cover with foil. I like my ribs sauce less but others like sauced. So the day I reheat I add sauce to one batch and mix really good. The other batch I leave as is. Reheat in the oven or smoker in the pan covered with foil. Serve.

Thanks guys.

This batch of ribs seem to be the victim of a conspiracy... now t a thunderstorm is rolling through... tending the smoker with a rain coat.

Sounds like a battle. I find the fight makes for a better cook sometimes, but you will be able to enjoy the picnic more now. 

I know that The above mentioned group does lightly sauce their ribs before wrapping. it allows the sauce to soak into the meat. 

I bet these ribs will be a home run.

Last edited:
My suggestion would be to finish the foil stage, then refrigerate.

Tomorrow (today) finish them on the smoker or grill unfoiled.

Since it's today now, what did you do?

Al

Well the journey for these ribs just kept getting worse!

I finished the foil stage and refrigerated.

Then this morning (Sunday) I get a text from my sister that she is sick and the picnic is off altogether.

I passed out foil pack racks to friends and neighbors. (1 neighbor whole rack, 1 neighbor only wanted half a rack, a buddy and my sister-in-law each got a rack).  I also passed out containers of the smoker baked beans.

I felt like "Johnny Apple(smoke) Rib", passing out racks as I went.

As for my rack, I reheated slow in a 250 oven, in the foil. Then lightly sauced. 

They were delicious, as were the beans.  I still have a half rack left for lunch.

It's going to be a long time before I offer to make food for any of my sister's events.

Well at least the ribs turned out well & I'm guessing your pretty popular in the neighborhood!

Al

Stuff happens... My family and I were packed, had a mover booked and were set to close on the current house I own with my Brother in NJ and a new house I am buying in PA, the 3rd week of July. A few days before, my Brother called to say there was a problem on his end and it will take his lawyer another month to straighten it out. Three families on hold. Our Buyers, my Family and the folks in PA waiting on me. All of us living out of Boxes. Not much could be done in unforseen situations, so no hard feeling here...JJ 
th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky