Success at altitude!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ajbert

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 1, 2013
In the Colorado mountains
Moved up to CO back in June and had problems keeping the TBS going using a MES 30 and the AMZNPS at an elevation of 9100 feet.  Yes, people really do live at this elevation!  Started another thread about that and from the replies it was suggested that the tube smoker might be the fix. 

Thought I'd do a follow up and say that the tube worked to perfection!  I pulled the chip tray and the loader both out like I did with the tray but this time I didn't have to keep re-lighting the pellets.  I threw some St Louis style ribs in for the 3-2-1 and ended up getting 4.5 hours of smoke.

The ribs came out fantastic but I was a bit worried.  My wife was out of town and I had put the rub on them the evening before she was supposed to come home.  She ended up coming home later than expected and the ribs stayed in the rub for about three days.  I'm glad I vacuum packed them at least.  Other than that I smoked them as always. 

And, now for my very first Qview on this site, providing I can figure out how to load up the pic.

I know, pretty basic meal but so dang good! 

Hello AJ.  You wouldn't think something like where you live could affect things, but there you go.  May be basic meal but looks pretty darn good to me!  I like basic.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

Congratulations on a really good looking 1st post.
icon14.gif

Great looking and ( I'll wager) tasty too
icon_exclaim.gif

Have fun and keep the smoke rolling up there... you're closer to the Smoke gods and get the first blessings  . . .
ROTF.gif

Another advantage of being that high up, You get to smell all of us lowlanders TBS as it heads up to the smoking gods!! No wait that might not be advantage, that might be a curse!! Smell smoke need meat, Smell smoke need meat, Smell smoke need meat, day in and day out!! LOL

Last edited:
Thanks. This post will help me a lot. I live at about 4,000 feet in the Canadian Rockies. While not as high as you, I have been able to keep an AMZNPS going but it is usually a chore. I will try the tube.

Disco

Thanks for all the compliments!  Wish I could find more time for smoking since we moved up here but I've been pretty busy with various projects and cutting/splitting wood for the coming winter.  Speaking of which, its been snowing for about the last 2-3 hours now.  I don't really see there being much accumulation, though.  Still a bit too warm for that. 

Been trying to get my cousin and his family to come up and help with some of that wood.  Even promised to smoke some ribs for them.  Once he gets the time I guess I'll be throwing some more ribs in the smoker!  Still need to get a couple of butts and make some pulled pork before winter sets in.  LOVE that pulled pork!

Nice plate from down here! Pretty sure you'll have plenty of accumulation soon enough! Last time I was in the area we drove in wearing shorts had 8" the next morning:). Watch out they don't all know how to drive there, we were by the Stanley Hotel and all the cars were sliding into the curb and they were closing everything in the area early so people could drive home. We had to rush our dinner even though it just started to snow.

Nice plate from down here! Pretty sure you'll have plenty of accumulation soon enough! Last time I was in the area we drove in wearing shorts had 8" the next morning:). Watch out they don't all know how to drive there, we were by the Stanley Hotel and all the cars were sliding into the curb and they were closing everything in the area early so people could drive home. We had to rush our dinner even though it just started to snow.
I know how the snow can be.  A few years ago my dad and brother went out to my aunt and uncle's house in Black Forest northeast of the Springs for dinner one evening.  It started to snow about the time they arrived but no one thought much about it.  After eating and visiting they went to leave only to find about 2 feet of wet snow everywhere.  Three days later the road finally got plowed.

We've been stocking up on non-perishables since we moved up here, believe me.  We can make it without electricity for as long as we have wood to warm the house as we have gas for cooking.  If the gas runs out we can always cook on the wood stove.  The freezer gets more stuffed in it every time we run down to town and hopefully will get completely full next month with more elk meat.

Plus, we have great neighbors around always willing to help, as we are always willing to help them.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky