Substitute beer for water in pepperettes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

PrimoJeff

Original poster
Jan 14, 2021
Hello,

Is there any opinion on substituting beer for water in pepperette recipes?

Is there a noticable improvement in taste? Is there a noticeable or negative effect on texture?

I'm currently experimenting with various recipes using a 70-30 mix of venison/pork. Some recipes give you the option to substitute beer for water. One batch ended up being ruined. Meat was really dry and crumbly. Taste was fine but texture was awful. I used beer and also threw in a shot of bourbon. Not sure if it was the beer, or if my homemade spice mix threw it off.

Would love to hear from anyone who has experience on this. Thanks!

Sure you can. I made Yuengling beer sticks a few years ago.
Just use at the same rate as the water, stir the beer to flatten it some as the salt in the mix will make it foam up.

Reactions: PrimoJeff
I always use a beer instead of water for venison and pork mix. And also always mix 50/50 deer to Boston butt. Beer seems to help take away some of the gaminess of the deer in my opinion. (Not sure how but I’ve done side by side smokes and am convinced of this.) I have not noticed any difference in texture between water and beer. I use one can (12oz) per 8-9 pounds of meat and hand mix.

Attachments

• 4FD4D271-1E67-4927-8CAD-A7F18021280B.jpeg
    4FD4D271-1E67-4927-8CAD-A7F18021280B.jpeg
    162.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 64093E83-907B-4A38-97F3-086219DD8C9A.jpeg
    64093E83-907B-4A38-97F3-086219DD8C9A.jpeg
    160 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Reactions: PrimoJeff
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky