Stupid Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

foamheart

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Is there any reason you couldn't put crushed roasted nuts in a sausage?

I am thinking about a fowl with sage, apple & pecans. I don't remember seeing anything about nuts except for the occasional pistachio. So I was wondering if it lost it flavor or maybe brings something unwanted to the meat.

Just an idea floating in my head. I have some really nice dry roasted smoked pecans just laying around.

Reactions: mdboatbum
I heard something about that..... seems crutches go well with crushed nuts.... or something like that..... It was a long time ago and I'm getting addled.... or maybe it was ice cream....... :dunno

Considering Nuts are cooked into Stuffing, Cookies, Pies and are used in a commercial Rub for Pork...I see no reason they can't be incorporated into Sausage. A quick search showed a recipe for Sausage with Pine nuts in the mix. I have always been a fan of Apple, Dry Cranberry and Pecan together. Mixed into a Sage Sausage would be awesome!...JJ

Ok, so I have another question. Fresh apple chunks or chopped dried apple (I am thinking dried could reconstitute itself in the sausage soaking up some of that good juice up.

Fresh or dried? I am sure its either one of the other but I don't know. Heck I just learned a few weeks ago you could actually use fresh garlic or garlic paste in sausages!

Ok, so I have another question. Fresh apple chunks or chopped dried apple (I am thinking dried could reconstitute itself in the sausage soaking up some of that good juice up.

Fresh or dried? I am sure its either one of the other but I don't know. Heck I just learned a few weeks ago you could actually use fresh garlic or garlic paste in sausages!
I'd go with dried for the exact reason you stated.

That depends on the flavor you want. Dry taste very different than fresh and will likely maintain a Chewy texture unless you rehydrate them. I don't know how much of the sausage juices they will absorb, and they won't absorb fat. My thinking is, I want the juice " in " the sausage with the apple complimenting the flavor and making the sausage even juicier.  If you go fresh, I would suggest a Cooking Apple variety. It will maintain it's texture better than others. Fuji or Golden Delicious are among my favs...JJ

Here is an Apple Use Chart... http://extension.wsu.edu/maritimefruit/pages/appleusechart.aspx

Last edited:
Nuts & sausage have been paired together for more than a long time.  I would roast them first and always check the quality as some nuts go rancid rather quickly.  Drive fruit (cherries, currants ect) go very well with wild game.  I served wild boar and venison sausage with dried fruit and or fruit sauces a few decades ago.. Think it through and give it a try, I think you will like it  :) 

I do not adhere to the old saying.. " There are no dumb questions " There are. Yours is not dumb though. I had some sausage recently that I bought from a local store that handles locally made sausages. It was cured and lightly smoked. It contained pistachio nuts. I cant remember what it is called. It is a traditional sausage. I recall seeing a recipe using pistachios in one of my books. You may want to be a little conservative at first.  But I can see no health or process issues.I would also try to remove any loose husks or skin.Good luck and Happy SM Weisswurst

One of our local restaurants has a "turkey nut burger" of ground turkey with chopped pecans mixed in. It make for a nice contrast of textures.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky