Stuffed, bacon wrapped loin w/Qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 22, 2009
Central Florida (Sebring)
I started off Friday afternoon with a 10.8 lb pork loin from Sam's.

98fb6cb0_1-29-111.jpg

e830e9cc_1-29-112.jpg

I cut it in half and froze one half. I wanted to experiment with half at a time. I'm glad I did because I have some ideas for the next one already.

d7c743d6_1-29-113.jpg

I trimmed most of the fat off & opened it up, trying to keep the thickness about 1/2".

b74cd5e4_1-29-114.jpg

Then I put it in a zip lock bag to marinate overnight with Italian dressing & a little Yoshida's

f83f6d32_1-29-115.jpg

While I was cutting and marinating the loin, Judy was frying up 1 lb. of hot Italian sausage, 1 chopped onion, & 12 cloves of garlic. We let it cool down & it went in the fridge with the loin for stuffing Sat. morning

ab78d707_1-29-116.jpg

The stuffing was fresh spinach, the cooked pork mixture, feta & provolone cheese. Here's how it looked with the spinach & sausage on.

e4f443d6_1-29-117.jpg

Next goes the feta & provolone.

5a30b728_1-29-118.jpg

Now just roll her up.

71164689_1-29-119.jpg

This sucker is big. Next comes the bacon wrap. I had to use 2 lbs. of bacon to cover this guy. Here's what a 2 lb. bacon weave looks like.

9941749d_1-29-1110.jpg

I rolled it up & tied it with twine both ways. It had so much filling in it I wanted to seal up the ends as much as possible.

9a690544_1-29-1111.jpg

Onto the WSM 22.5. It was so big I put 2 probes in it just to be safe. I felt a little resistance on both of them when I inserted them so I think they were into meat in the center not filling.

83d0c5c4_1-29-1112.jpg

I pulled it out of the smoker when it hit 155, wrapped it in foil & towels to rest on the counter. Here's how it looked just out of the foil. EDIT: With the new USDA guidelines I would pull it out at 140 and rest it until it hit 145.

f31805e4_1-29-1113.jpg

Gotta cut it open & have a look inside.

06e23fee_1-29-1114.jpg

Even with the bacon wrap it got good smoke penetration.

af68445d_1-29-1115.jpg

The flavor was excellent. It was tender, and juicy, cut easy with a fork. I think next time I will take it out at 150 instead of 155. Also I will use a little more feta. It's such a strong cheese that I was afraid it would overtake the other flavors, but it didn't. Let's eat! EDIT: With the new USDA guidelines I would pull it out at 140 and rest it until it hit 145.

bf65e19c_1-29-1116.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: terrobonz
OK, you got me drooling already this morning!
drool.gif
I could handle a whole plate load of that one.

finally................ Wow. great job. when is the next flight to florida. Thanks for the Q. Now I know what I am making for the superbowl. What changes would you make if you had to?

Awsome

The only thing I would do different is add more feta & take it out a little sooner.
finally................ Wow. great job. when is the next flight to florida. Thanks for the Q. Now I know what I am making for the superbowl. What changes would you make if you had to?

Awsome

Congratulations Al !!!

I think you just blew out another salivary gland !!!

I'm saving these pics for the next time my salolithiasis starts acting up!

Bear

Ok Al you owe me a new keyboard. This one is soaked with drool!! That looks great.

icon_cool.gif

Now thats a thing of beauty there Al. If you are looking for something else to do with that loin. I usually do a stuffed loin and then some Canadian bacon with the other half.

Thanks Mark, I might try that.

icon_cool.gif

Now thats a thing of beauty there Al. If you are looking for something else to do with that loin. I usually do a stuffed loin and then some Canadian bacon with the other half.

Wow Al,

That looks fantastic.

You're gonna make my wife kill me with all of these recipes. I'll spend more time with my smoker than her. 
th_roflmao.gif
   although, she does love the end result.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky