Strolghino...(Fortune Teller Salami)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
Strolghino Salami is made with the trimmings of the ham after boning out and trimming for culatello and fiocco. It is simply seasoned with salt and pepper, the same as the culatello and is said to fore tell what the final culatello will taste like.
Cajuneric Cajuneric made a youtube about this salami:

I had 1600g. of lean ham trimmings so I added 400g. of back fat for 2Kg. of strolghino salami. Ground the fat and lean through 6mm plate.
IMG_20210218_122222.jpg

I mixed the salt, cure #1, white pepper, dextrose, and the wine into the meat for protein extraction.
IMG_20210218_122312.jpg

Then added the culture, mixed in good.
IMG_20210218_123538.jpg

Stuffed into 32-35mm hog casing,
IMG_20210218_132629.jpg

Fermented @78*F for 27 hours to pH of 5.04. Then hung in kitchen for about an hour 69*F, 50%RH to dry the casings slightly before placing into curing chamber...will dry to 30% weight loss. They will be done in about 14-21 days.

Last edited:
Looks like another winner...JJ

Strolghino Salami is made with the trimmings of the ham after boning out and trimming for culatello and fiocco. It is simply seasoned with salt and pepper, the same as the culatello and is said to fore tell what the final culatello will taste like.
Cajuneric Cajuneric made a youtube about this salami:

I had 1600g. of lean ham trimmings so I added 400g. of back fat for 2Kg. of strolghino salami. Ground the fat and lean through 6mm plate.
View attachment 485799

I mixed the salt, cure #1, white pepper, dextrose, and the wine into the meat for protein extraction.
View attachment 485800
Then added the culture, mixed in good.
View attachment 485802
Stuffed into 32-35mm hog casing,
View attachment 485803
Fermented @78*F for 27 hours to pH of 5.04. Then hung in kitchen for about an hour 69*F, 50%RH to dry the casings slightly before placing into curing chamber...will dry to 30% weight loss. They will be done in about 14-21 days.

Can I ask you why you used #1 instead of #2?

Can I ask you why you used #1 instead of #2?
Sure kit s...
The use of cure #1 is because the salami will be dry in less than a month; the nitrate breakdown into nitrite is not necessary. The initial added nitrite will be enough until the Aw is low enough in 14-21 days.

Generally, nitrite can be used for salami stuffed in 42mm or smaller casing that will be dried in less than 1 month.

Reactions: kit s
Generally, nitrite can be used for salami stuffed in 42mm or smaller casing that will be dried in less than 1 month.
If nitrates are used instead of nitrites, as you are suggesting, do you think there’d be any drawbacks?

Do you think there’d be too much nitrate present in the final product and if so, do you think that’s dangerous to consume?

Thanks!

Very informative, thanks Swamp. I’ll do some more searching because I’m curious whether there are negative health implications of a 14-21 day cure using cure 2. Specifically if there is a high concentration of nitrosamines.

All this stems from curing my first batch of salami using 32-35mm hog casing. After 16 days it was down 40% in weight. There’s no case hardening, it looks great, smells great and tastes really good. I’m just concerned about the nitrates that have not converted to nitric oxide because of the shorter cure.

From what I have read, nitrosamines are not likely to form unless the product is exposed to high heat like when frying bacon, which is the reason the USDA has banned nitrates from commercial bacon production. But as insurance, you can do as chef jimmyj chef jimmyj suggests and drink a glass of orange juice when consuming bacon, the citric acid will neutralize it.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
BTW, nitrates are naturally occurring in a lot veggies...celery, cherries, spinach off the top of my head...there are others. Nitrates in and of themselves are not a concern in low concentrations IMO.

Nitrosamine does not always require heat to form. Bacteria activity in Dry Cured Salumi containing Nitrate/Nitrite, also forms Nitrosamine as does Gastric Acid in Saliva and the Stomach.
Fear not! Orange Juice, Apple Juice, Cranberry Juice, Lemon or Limeade, Tomato Juice, V8, Bloody Mary😉, anything with Vitamin C, Ascorbic Acid, will inhibit Nitrosamines formation AND it's effects if already formed. So have some Lemonade with that Charcuterie Plater and relax.
Another Example... Long before anyone heard about Nitrosamines, our Grand Parents and Great Grand Parents depending on your age, knew how to eat for good Health...The Classic BLT (Circa 1903) has Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A, Potassium, Folate and other nutrients in Tomatoes. Now include, Bread, Meat, Vegetable, the Heart Disease and Cancer fighting Antioxidant Lycopene, also in Tomatoes, all in a convenient handheld package! A HEALTHFUL Sandwich. What more could your Nutritionist ask for? So, start Makin' Bacon Too!...JJ☺

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky