Storing pulled pork

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

yourmom

Original poster
May 29, 2015
Great white north
Boys. I need a quick opinion. I'm smoking some shoulders next Wednesday to be eaten at work on Thursday. Any thoughts on how to store the meat from end of smoke Wednesday to serving on Thursday?? Crock pot, Zip lock bags in fridge?? I'll have a good size audience and really want to impress these guys.

Thanks!!!

I have done this in the past and have just put it in the throw away metal pans and seal them good. You are just talking over night so you will be good.

Left overs (if there is any) I vac seal and freeze.

I hope this helps. 

Link

After you take your shoulders off give them a little rest then pull and pan them and stick them in the fridge.
To reheat them stick the pork in the oven or crockpot and add a little apple juice and once it is warmed up add whatever sauces you want to finish. Some people just like PP plain.

I personally would still vac seal for overnight. Let the meat rest a bit after its done, vacuum seal it up, then put it in the fridge (in an ice bath would be best). A couple hours before serving time id pop the vac seal bag into almost boiling water to let the meat come to temp (id use a souse vide, but not sure if you have one). Otherwise if no access to boiling water, id take it out of the vac bag and wrap it tight in a crockpot bag and heat that in the crockpot for a couple hours on high with some water in the base of the crock pot.

Anyway, this all seems a bit involved, but IF IT WAS ME, and I was cooking to impress I would do the most I could to make it taste fresh off the pit for that engagement. IMHO, its no question, the vac sealer will make a difference even over night. If you don't have a vac sealer put them into some good gallon or so bags and get all the air out using water displacement (dip the bag into a sink filled with water to let the air out the top).

What did you end up doing and how did it turn out?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky