sticks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

boykjo

Renowned Sausage Maker
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Apr 28, 2010
Raleigh,NC
Bought a 10 lb beef chub of 90/10 from sams club and some pork butts. Made some of Bears pepperoni sticks, kielbasa sticks and some teriyaki sticks using collogens and naturals. Added some paprika, cayenne and dextrose to the bear sticks. something went wrong with the teriyaki sticks... taste was blah.. went to the trash can....... The bear sticks turned out awesome, kielbasa sticks turned out great..... stick have been drying in a paper bag in the fridge for about a week

Some pics

Thanks for looking and a merry Christmas to all

Boykjo

Nice sticks Joe....  You are the expert when it comes to stuffing stuff....    What did you do on the terriyaki recipe ??  Try a new one ??

Do you always let your sticks sit in the fridge for a week in a paper bag? I've heard of people letting them in the fridge for a day or two, but not a week.

I dry them for a week. The casing and meat will harden. This also prevents the casing from peeling off on the collogens

Last edited:
I dry them for a week. The casing and meat will harden. This also prevents the casing from peeling off on the collogens

Thanks, I was hoping you would say that. I'm going to try this and see if it solves my problem. I'll be making some sticks this weekend I believe

Joe, Those babies look incredible ! 
points.gif

Dang it man that there sticks look pretty,,,, Nice job And I hope you had a Great Merry Christmas. 

What was your 90/10beff to pork butt ratio?? 

Happy New Years to you there sir. 

DS

Looks great!!

Do you eat the sticks as you go, or do you leave them alone for the week?
I snacked on a few. They kept getting better snd better every day

Thanks, I was hoping you would say that. I'm going to try this and see if it solves my problem. I'll be making some sticks this weekend I believe
I used bearcarvers recipe  http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/95395/unstuffed-smoked-beef-pepperoni-sticks-with-qview

I added 4 Tbs. paprika, 3 Tbs cayenne and 1 Tbs of dextrose to the recipe... They turned out really good. (not saying bears werent already good)

Dang it man that there sticks look pretty,,,, Nice job And I hope you had a Great Merry Christmas. 

What was your 90/10beff to pork butt ratio?? 

Happy New Years to you there sir. 

DS

I did the pepperoni sticks 100% beef. The teriyaki trash sticks were 50/50 beef pork. i bet thats what was wrong with them. The kielbasa was 100% pork

Last edited:
Looks great Joe.    I always learn something when you post.

One other question on this.  After you dry them in the paper bag for a week, how do you store these?  Vac seal and freeze?  If so, when you take them out to eat them, do you leave them in a plastic bag, or do you put them back in a paper bag? 

Thanks, 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky