Stick burning on a Backwoods?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ahhobbs

Original poster
Nov 3, 2016
Hello all I have a quick question. I was set on buying a stick burner, but found a great deal on a backwoods party. My question is would it be possible to do the pre-burn method and shovel the wood coals in when needed or should this only be used as charcoal only?
Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving to everyone![emoji]129411[/emoji]

Well this thread has gone over like a pregnant pole vaulter lol...

I'm not familiar with that unit.. but if it's charcoal fired then what you are describing should work... doesn't matter if it's charcoal from a bag or pre burnt coal...

Awesome thanks it is a insulated vertical smoker. I thought it would be possible just thought I would ask. Sorry for the stupid question lol.

I've got a Spicewine vertical cabinet that is designed much like your Backwoods. That approach will work fine. I have switched from doing a minion method to using pre-lit charcoal because I wasn't as satisfied with the smoke using minion (too much thick white smoke before I got to the TBS).

Thanks for the chuckle on the pole vaulting visual!

Great thanks, I can't wait to try it. Now I just need the burn ban lifted in my area.

The burn ban doesn't include grills but unfortunately to pre-burn the wood my only option is to burn it in a fire pit.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky