• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Stick burning on a Backwoods?

ahhobbs

Joined Nov 3, 2016
Hello all I have a quick question. I was set on buying a stick burner, but found a great deal on a backwoods party. My question is would it be possible to do the pre-burn method and shovel the wood coals in when needed or should this only be used as charcoal only?
Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving to everyone![emoji]129411[/emoji]

JckDanls 07

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 10, 2011
I'm not familiar with that unit.. but if it's charcoal fired then what you are describing should work... doesn't matter if it's charcoal from a bag or pre burnt coal...

smokeymose

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Aug 13, 2015
Not sure what kind of smoker a backwoods party is, I guess....

ahhobbs

Joined Nov 3, 2016
Awesome thanks it is a insulated vertical smoker. I thought it would be possible just thought I would ask. Sorry for the stupid question lol.

i6quer

Meat Mopper
Joined Feb 22, 2014
I've got a Spicewine vertical cabinet that is designed much like your Backwoods. That approach will work fine. I have switched from doing a minion method to using pre-lit charcoal because I wasn't as satisfied with the smoke using minion (too much thick white smoke before I got to the TBS).

Thanks for the chuckle on the pole vaulting visual!

ahhobbs

Joined Nov 3, 2016
Great thanks, I can't wait to try it. Now I just need the burn ban lifted in my area.

ahhobbs

Joined Nov 3, 2016
The burn ban doesn't include grills but unfortunately to pre-burn the wood my only option is to burn it in a fire pit.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.