Stick burners - oak?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lmci

Original poster
Oct 27, 2010
Southeastern Va
I've heard of people using oak as a general wood fuel, but what I haven't determined is whether they're using WHITE or RED oak.  Any thoughts?  I've got a new pit that'll handle a 15" split and would like the option of burning wood..., oak is the easiest to find but most of what I see is red.

Appreciate any thoughts,

Larry

P.S.  Been gone from here a while, but been smoking all the while!

To my taste, oak smoke is a bit strong, but it's my favorite wood for good, long-lasting embers. Once I have a bed of those, I can another wood for fragrance.

My pit will handle 18" split. However it don't work well with the longer wood so I cut them down 10" - 12" and split them pretty small. I get a lot less smoke and can reach the TBS we all love using to smaller chunks.

oak both red and white will work fine make shure it is properly seasond mixes well with cherry and hickory
bluesbros.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky