Steelhead - the 2nd time around

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thebarbequeen

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Aug 22, 2010
Renton, WA
The 1st batch was so well-received, I had to do another one quick to make sure it hadn't just been some accident.  I liked the brine I made so I stuck with it.  I did 4 fillets this time instead of 2, hoping for another lucky break. I smoked longer and lower this time, my hubby preferred the taste of the 1st batch that I took up to higher smoke temps. brined about 5 hours

bccfc3c0_IMGP0315_1291.jpg

then onto racks overnight

9469089d_IMGP0317_1285.jpg

8055fab6_IMGP0321_1288.jpg

love my foodsaver! thanks to mudduck!  A couple pieces stuck and lost their skin; their loss=the dog's gain.

e44f0310_IMGP0324_1289.jpg

thanks again, Bear and Bilder for helping me find my salmon way!

They sure look good! Lots of good snacking treats. I would probably be pulling one out everyday!

Thanks, Al!!  Some found its way into Eric's corn chowder, and we served it at our drybag steak party. It was tasty by itself,  with a dill/caper goat cheese spread on crackers, and also put on top of some devilled eggs - Darn versatile stuff, that salmon!  My hubby eats some almost everyday!

OMG! It looks really good, but I would have to say this is one of the very few meats that I would not smoke. I would smoke a big ol chinook/king but never a silver red or steelhead....that is just me I guess.

The BBQ Grail had a cool recipe for left over salmon - called compressed candied sushi.  Sounds great and if you have some left over salmon, give this a try before the pup eats it all!

That looks really good.  Wild salmon on sale this week.  Hmmmm?  Should I break out the AMNS.  Sure I should!

Good luck and good smoking!

Look perfect!

I love steelhead! Caught a my first one 5 years ago on the salmon river in pulaski,ny . To date it has been in the top 3 smoked fish I have done up.

Thanks for the q-view!

Looks Great, Wish we had fish like that in Kansas...

I don't have any steelies, BUT, there's a coho that needs attending.  What temp did you run this time?
I took them slowly up from 140 to 180, bumping it every 1-1/2 to 2 hours until 160 then 1 hour @ 170, then to 180 until they hit IT 140.  The first time I bumped faster and took them up to 195 to finish off, with shorter intervals from 160.  They seemed to take on more smoke than this last batch, everybody but the hubby seems not to mind.  Alder, all the way, of course.  Coho. yum.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky