Steak Hoagie (From Bear’s Favorite Take-out)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Macungie, PA
Steak Hoagie  (From Bear’s Favorite Take-out)

Since we were talking about Cheesesteaks the other day, I thought I’d take a couple pics of what I sometimes get as Take-out.

This Steak Hoagie comes from “Vito’s” which is on Rt 100, about 3 miles from the Bear Den. It’s the second closest Steak Hoagie joint to the Den, but we like their’s more than “Salvatore’s” which is only about 2 miles from the Den, in the other direction.

This one is called the “Special Steak” (cost—Large—$8)
It has Chipped Steak, Mushrooms, Green Peppers, Hot Peppers, Fried Onions, and Sauce.

Sometimes when I get a Steak Hoagie with all those tasty ingredients, I get it without cheese, because the cheese tends to over-power some of the other ingredients.

Bear

Here’s the way you get it—Special Steak @ 1Pound, 11 1/2 Ounces:
http://s836.photobucket.com/user/Bearcarver_2009/media/Bearcarver_2009007/IMG_0826.jpg.html

Here it is out of the wrapper: I will eat half of this for one meal (Used to eat the whole thing):
http://s836.photobucket.com/user/Bearcarver_2009/media/Bearcarver_2009007/IMG_0827.jpg.html

Second Night I split the second half & heat them “Open-Face” in the Toaster oven:
http://s836.photobucket.com/user/Bearcarver_2009/media/Bearcarver_2009007/IMG_0829.jpg.html

Close-up of Half of my second half:
http://s836.photobucket.com/user/Bearcarver_2009/media/Bearcarver_2009007/IMG_0830.jpg.html

Dang, here it is lunch time and you post this !!!  
drool.gif

That's my kind of sandwich,   Guess I'll have to see if it's Sardines or Vienna's  
icon_cry.gif

Gary

Salvatore’s- Wow, that place takes me back to munchie road trips when I was going to kutztown in the late 70's. When my daughter was in kutztown several years ago it was still a late night passage to go eat there. Many a fun nights, from what I remember.

Hey, didn't have to go with the Sardines or Vienna's  Thawed me out a Hot link I had tucked away

Gary

Dang, here it is lunch time and you post this !!!  
drool.gif

That's my kind of sandwich,   Guess I'll have to see if it's Sardines or Vienna's  
icon_cry.gif

Gary
Thanks Gary!!

You'd love that Sammy!!

Bear
Salvatore’s- Wow, that place takes me back to munchie road trips when I was going to kutztown in the late 70's. When my daughter was in kutztown several years ago it was still a late night passage to go eat there. Many a fun nights, from what I remember.
That's funny---I just had a Salvatore's Cheesesteak tonight, because Mrs Bear wanted Spaghetti, and she likes Salvatore's Spaghetti more than Vito's.

Salvatore's is always busy, especially on weekends with all the Car & Truck shows in Macungie!!!

Bear

Thanks for the Great Comments everyone!!

I've been around this area long enough, and have had thousands of Cheesesteaks from at least 50 places in a 20 mile radius.

I have a favorite Steak Sandwich Joint in each of at least a Dozen towns.

Some don't have enough meat, some are too sloppy, or greasy, or too much sauce. Some use Spaghetti sauce instead of Steak sauce. Some the rolls are too big for the Sandwich.

Some use cheap meat with gristle in it. Some use tasteless grease called "Cheez Whiz" (Yuck!). Some actually use Loose Ground meat instead of Chip Steak.

The one I showed above is one of the best of all of them-----In the top 5 anyway.

Thanks again guys!!

Bear

That looks scrumptious..... Although I don't know it is safe to eat..... Looks like there is a defect in the bun or maybe piece missing??? lol 

That looks scrumptious..... Although I don't know it is safe to eat..... Looks like there is a defect in the bun or maybe piece missing??? lol 
Thanks AB,

I would admit it if it was what you're thinking, but it's not.

I think the rolls are actually twice as big, and they cut them or break them to what you see. I believe that's why the one end looks like that.

Bear

Reactions: xray
Now that's a man sized sammie Bear! Looks delicious! That's one thing I can't get in my neck of woods, unless it's homemade. What an Oklahoma sandwich shop calls Philly cheesesteak leaves a lot to be desired.

Red

I might have to make the 3 day trip to Vitos myself! Dang it man, that is one heck of a sammie.

When I first saw the scale I thought it read 11lbs, and thought, damn, Bear is really tearin up the steak sandwiches!  
biggrin.gif

Beautiful

Now that's a man sized sammie Bear! Looks delicious! That's one thing I can't get in my neck of woods, unless it's homemade. What an Oklahoma sandwich shop calls Philly cheesesteak leaves a lot to be desired.

Red
These things are all over this area---Most are Great, some are better than others, and this one is the best in my immediate area.

The Large ones all run between $7.50 and $11, but most are around $8.

Bear

The biggest sammie I've ever seen! B
LOL---And now that one lasts me two meals saves me a lot of $$$

Bear

Super sandwich, Bear! Tell them to open a store in the Canadian Rockies!

Disco
Thanks Disco!

I don't speak Italian.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Bear
Regional cuisine at it's finest. It's hard to beat a good cheesesteak hoagie!
Thanks Xray!

And for the Point.

Bear

I might have to make the 3 day trip to Vitos myself! Dang it man, that is one heck of a sammie.

When I first saw the scale I thought it read 11lbs, and thought, damn, Bear is really tearin up the steak sandwiches!  
biggrin.gif

Beautiful
That's a long trip---Better get two!!

LOL--Yup, Only 1 pound 11 1/2 ounces.

There's another place about 20 miles from here that has them near 3 pounds each, but they use Spaghetti Sauce & their meat is a bit tough.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky