Steak for 8... what to get

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Killa J

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 10, 2018
My wife wants me to cook steak for Mother’s Day, which is awesome. I’ll need to make enough for 8 adults. There’s some logistical problems because of where we’ll be though. Is there a cut of meat similar to prime rib, but more “steak-like”? I love prime rib, but it’s more of an awesome roast than a steak in my opinion.

If I can cook this ahead of time with my sous vide cooker and only have to sear it where we’ll be, that would be perfect.

Well if your going to SV it first, then I would go for an eye of round. I just did one & they come out melt in your mouth tender. Then a quick sear on the grill & you should have some happy campers!!
Al

What is your budget? if you have the cash i would get a whole tenderloin and slice into filet steaks an sous vide that and sear at the end to everyone's liking. a whole tender loin does 12-13 nice steaks easy.

IMG_20180310_085737.jpg

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

I’ll have to try out eye of round, I can’t remember the last time I had one.

I’m actually not a big fan of filet, I’d rather almost any other cut. But I should probably ask my wife if she likes it.

I love ribeye, but I don’t find that prime rib really tastes like it for some reason. I guess if you cut it into steaks, seasoned it, and seared it like a steak.

I did just read that there’s a strip steak equivalent of a rib roast, I think that may be what I get.

Ribeye all the way! Not a better steak in my opinion. Every now and again I’ll buy a few porterhouse or a whole tenderloin but 90% of the steaks I eat and make for guests are ribeye. I’ve dropped dozens of them in the sv bath and then seared on the grill or in a pan over the past few years.

Good luck with dinner! If your serving steak I’m sure everyone including your mom will be happy!

Scott

Costco if you have one close by. The ribeyes and New York strips are excellent. Typically sold 8 to a package I believe. B

I probably should have explained the situation more. We will be at the beach, and there isn’t a grill. I have a little portable gas grill, but it will fit 4 steaks at a time at most. So I’m not cooking the whole time, I’d rather it be a large roast that can be cut into steaks after. If I had access to a full grill, I’d have 8 fat ribeyes and call it a day.

Hard to beat a good BBQ tri-tip though and your grill will do just fine

We use to get "Plastic Steak" from Costco. I'm pretty sure it was Rib Eye.
It's steak, individually frozen and packaged in plastic vacuum packaging. If you have any doubts about frozen steak, Lookit Here.
Take out one or two, thaw out, open, season, grill, enjoy!
They became my favorite steak. I'd boil up some cut tators, cook up a Plastic Steak, and pop a fresh brewsky. Butter, S-P-granulated garlic..
Dinner!

I'd suggest you do a couple of pre-event dinners to get your grill on. Do them right there at home, and package up the things you find you need to searing perfection. DO THEM on the grill you will be using!
Practice makes perfect.
And use tongs to turn and handle the meat. A big fork looks sexy, but it lets the juice out.
Practice your grill lines while you rehearse.
You'll be the Family Grillmeister!

Hard to beat a good BBQ tri-tip though and your grill will do just fine

Yeah, That!!!

Tri-tip would be perfect for what you want to do- no matter if you SV ahead of time or not. You can SV ahead then reverse sear on your hot grill at the beach. Or just let it ride on your grill on low turning occasionally until it is done.

Even though it is like a roast you will season and cook it like a huge steak. I like to season ahead of time, then cook at around 300* to an IT of about 135* wrap and rest for a bit then slice and serve. They only take about 45 minutes to cook that way.

What kind and size of grill are you using? If its a portable gas grill I highly recommend getting a little some chips, chunks or pellets (depending on your setup).

Sometimes Tri-tips can be small, so you might even consider doing two of them since you are serving 8.

Lastly, is IF and how much to trim your tri-tip. If you get an un-trimmed tri-tip, There can be a tough layer of sinew next to the meat with what looks like a nice fat cap that sits over the top of that.

My wife wants me to cook steak for Mother’s Day, which is awesome. I’ll need to make enough for 8 adults. There’s some logistical problems because of where we’ll be though. Is there a cut of meat similar to prime rib, but more “steak-like”? I love prime rib, but it’s more of an awesome roast than a steak in my opinion.

If I can cook this ahead of time with my sous vide cooker and only have to sear it where we’ll be, that would be perfect.

If you really want to do a "Sous Vide Eye Round", the one below was the Best One I've done so far.(Fork Tender):

Eye Round in SV Best of All Eye Rounds (11-21-17)

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky