• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Steak Dry ageing unit.

crazymoon

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Aug 24, 2014
M, check out some Umai bags for dry aging.

mowin

Master of the Pit
Joined May 30, 2015
Thanks CM. I'll look into those. Do I need to control the humidity in the fridge while using them?

atomicsmoke

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 3, 2014
I think this was mentioned here before. Personally I wouldnt pay 200$ for a box to put in the fridge. You can buy a mini fridge for that amount and age 2-3 times as much , and use it for other purposes when not aging.

crazymoon

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Aug 24, 2014
Thanks CM. I'll look into those. Do I need to control the humidity in the fridge while using them?
M, You are all set if you use a full size fridge which removes moisture . A small college size one won't work.

mowin

Master of the Pit
Joined May 30, 2015
M, You are all set if you use a full size fridge which removes moisture . A small college size one won't work.
Thanks for that info. I just happen to have a full sized project fridge.

dls1

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jun 6, 2012
I think this was mentioned here before. Personally I wouldnt pay 200$ for a box to put in the fridge. You can buy a mini fridge for that amount and age 2-3 times as much , and use it for other purposes when not aging.
I agree.

You should also check Craigslist, or a similar site, for a good used refrigerator that you can put in a basement or garage, provided you have the space. When we remodeled the kitchen one of our homes a few years ago, the installers took all of the old appliances at no charge, except the refrigerator, for which they wanted a hefty disposal fee. It was a perfectly good unit so I listed it on Craigslist and it was gone in less than 12 hours for a little under 50% of the unit you're considering.

Additionally, it would be beneficial to consider a small fan (even an old computer fan works well), and a combined thermometer/hygrometer unit to monitor thr temp and humidity. At worst, you shouldn't spend more than $20 for both of those.

Latest posts

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.