Starting My first smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mstrmike

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 26, 2010
Lake Isabella, Ca.
Built a uds last weekend and seasoned it whith a 10 hour burn. This week trying a 9 pound butt I picked up. just applied rub and rewrapped for overnight.

Wondering about how long to figure to reach 205deg. if I can maintain 225/250deg. I plan to use a water bowl with about a gal. of water. Using hardwood lump. Any suggestions GREATLY appreciated.

uds build and first smoke pics.to follow

figure 1-1.5 hours per pound,but every smoke is differant for a 9lb butt by time would be around9-13.5 hours.but i mostly go with temp.smoke it to 165 then foil it and put it back in and take up to 190 for slicing and 205 for pulling,just make sure to add a little apple juice or some type of liquid when ya foil.

Get yourself a digital thermo..Its really the only way to go.  You will be glad you bought it.  Good luck.

well got it going, temp has been stable at 225 for better than a hour gonna catch some z's and check in a few hours. Thanks for the input

Good Luck and don't forget to post some Qview...

icon_cool.gif

Well some folks say 1 1/2 hours per pound I say more like 2 but anyway. I would smoke it and it will tell you how long it will take. Every one of them take their own sweet time. So I would recommend that you leave plenty of time and then maybe a couple hours more for you can leave it in the cooler for may hours and it will still be really hot. I have ;eft one in the cooler for up to 5 hours and it would still burn my hands when I pulled it.

Definately give yourself extra time.

I highly recommend using a foil pan that is just a little bigger than your butt. lol. When it comes time to foil, you just pick it up and set it in with some meat forks, add juice or broth if ya like and then cover with foil. This will keep the moisture around the butt and kepp your drum a hellova lot cleaner. Don't leave the lid open on that drum while you are messing around with foiling. Leaving the lid open for any length of time will cause your temp to spike really high and it will be tough to wrangle back down. Open the lid, get the meat out and close the lid right away. Do the same when putting it back in. You can take your time while you have the butt out, it's not gonna cool off that quickly.

Last edited:
Happy, happy happy

Just put it in the cooler at 205deg plan to leave it there for about two hours. checked at 4:30 this am and it was at 165 foiled it and put back in, 205 at 9:30. Tempature of new drum steady at 225 all night. Now just need to figure out how to post pictures when I unwrap it.

Thank everone for the help

Glad it came out good. If you want to post photo's just click on the insert image icon at the top of the text box and choose your photo's from your computer.

Happy, happy happy

Just put it in the cooler at 205deg plan to leave it there for about two hours. checked at 4:30 this am and it was at 165 foiled it and put back in, 205 at 9:30. Tempature of new drum steady at 225 all night. Now just need to figure out how to post pictures when I unwrap it.

Thank everone for the help

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky