Starting fluid or not?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hillbilly jim

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Apr 13, 2015
Floyd, VA
I've heard all 273 reasons why charcoal starting fluid is bad and I should use a chimney. I have three chimneys, a large and small Weber made and a 'Jim' made.

Here's my theory: The flames are a result of the starting fluid vapors. By the time all the charcoal whites over (which indicates a complete surface burn), there's no possible way any volatile fluid and/or vapors can remain.

I'm open to education and correction, so convince me I'm wrong if you think I am.

I use a chimney. I can taste the fuel on food cooked over lighter fluid charcoal. I may be sensitive to it, I love the smell of gasoline and charcoal being lit with lighter fluid.

Mike

I tend to agree that by the time the charcoal is well lit and grey there is no petroleum distillate left. That said, I still prefer using a chimney starter.

An aside: I think my dad invented the charcoal chimney starter. He used a 2# coffee can with the top and bottom cut out and used a "church key" (remember those?) to open air holes around the bottom of the can. A pair of channel locks served as the handle.

Nothing wrong with lighter fluid other than folks that feel more is better. Growing up, Dad taught to soak them until they glistened. For the average Weber load that was a Cup of fluid or more! So, yes the fluid that soaked into the center or the briquettes was still there and " flavoring " the meat even when the coals were ashed over. I thought that is how it was supposed to taste until we got an electroc starter.
Needless to say a little, 2oz goes a long way, only the edges need to ignite, and is all vaporized and burned by the time the charcoal is up to cooking temperature...JJ

I use Natural Gas.
When I do use charcoal, I use a propane torch.

Either way, no fumes, no fuss, no fooling.

YMMV
Your Mileage May Vary

FWIW.... Cowgirl (Cowgirl's Country Life blog) (And a member of the staff on this forum) borrowed a big egg to do a competition cook miles from her home... She NEVER used lighter fluid... After the judging she was told the judges could taste or smell the fluid on the food... Seems the person she borrowed the egg from used lighter fluid to light his/her fires...

Last edited:
I'm a cigarette smoker and even I can tell when someone has used lighter fluid to start their coals. It's a smell that takes a while to dissipate.

Chris

I got used to the fluid taste when I was young and came to expect/almost like it.
These days I'm getting away from fluid. Various reasons. Possible tasteless residue can't be good for me, tired of running out at the wrong time, if for whatever reason the charcoals didn't light well then having to deal with relighting already too hot to touch coals ect.
I had trouble getting the chimney lit the first time and these days news paper is getting harder to come by, so I made one of those cardboard in a can candles. It works really well. so far I haven't noticed any candle taste.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky