Starting a build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

xxhillbillyxx

Original poster
Jul 11, 2017
Central Alabama
*Edit*

I am abandoning the 55 gallon drum smoker. I just got a hold of a 250 gallon propane tank for $75!! 

OK,

I have come into the possession of 3 55 gallon drums with removable lids. I am very much a DIYer and know that I want to build a smoker out of them. my question for you guys is this. What style should I build? I like the UDS but I have 3 barrels. I really like the side fire box style smoker, that is what I currently use. I came across this kind on youtube thats pretty dang neat and would really like to build a version of it

Using the barrel stove kit seems really smart to me. but I am not a smoker builder LOL. I know that there is a ratio that needs to be kept between the size of the fire box and the size of the cook chamber. I was thinking the I would weld two of the drums together and put the fire box on the bottom with the barrel stove kit on it, maybe even insulate the inside of it with fire brick.Here is a quick and very crude drawing of what I was thinking of doing. Maybe it would be better to use 1 and a half instead of two barrels for the cook chamber, or maybe a half barrel for the firebox. maybe both? I really dont know what would function the best but I for sure do not want to waste the barrels. 

What are your thoughts? is a build like that something that could actually be good to use or would I be better of trying something different?

Thanks for any input that you may have.

Last edited:
Between the Firebox and Cook chamber you should have a 12" round opening for good air flow....   For a heat deflector (tuning) plates about 21" long to lay in the barrels and 5" or so wide..  (1/4" material would be good) ..and a 5" stack about 32" tall...  (above the drum)

Typical inlets on a barrel type FB....

I may just hold off on building right now. I know that the stove kits for the barrels use 6 inch stove pipes and fittings, I really want to build a smoker/smokers with these barrels but I do not want to waste a bunch of time and barrels just to make something that will not work

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky