Started badly, gotta finish better

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Inscrutable

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Apr 4, 2019
NC
So I head out first thing to snag a few things at grocery, including a butt sale.
But when we docked last night the river was REALLY high, so wanted to check our dock lines. Looked ok, but we are pulling the boat today. (Some demolition starting this week very close to the docks and will be a big mess for a while), and hadn’t seen my stern tie-downs, so boarded and rummaging around for those.

And found 3” of water in the cubby under helm console! WTF? Think when the boat service place pulled my gauges so I could send off to be reconditioned, they didn’t cover the console holes and it must have rained in there a ton.
So I bail that out with half a plastic clamshell case a dock line came in ... of course it crappy and get all over me, so when done I went to dock water spigot to rinse off a bit.

And of course, my glasses fall off into the drink. Grrrr. And I can’t read my shopping list on my phone, so back to the house.
And stuck for 5 min behind a car at our gated entrance who apparently doesn’t live there and can’t read the 3 signs posted to use the call box to call the security guys who will open the gate. I finally get out of my car to tell her what to do.

No time for a butt today, so pulled 2 racks of StLouie’s out of the freezer ... should get back to my happy place by dinner :emoji_fingers_crossed:
Stay tuned ...

Dang bud lol. Rough day. Hopefully a few drinks get ya straightened out and things get better. Enjoy the ribs!

Appreciate the sympathy. But Commander Cody singing in the background “Down to Seeds and Stems Again Blues”

So playing with new toys would be a nice thought and boost, huh?

So got out the new UltraQ for the BGE and the circular rib rack from BBQ Guru. Got the 2 racks trimmed, doused one with Jeff's original and one with Red Hot & Blue rub ... did same with the tips and trimmings. Loaded up the rack.

Stocked the egg with a mixture of RO lump and Ridge briquettes, mixed in apple chunks and some apple and cherry chips scattered on top. Lit a dozen or so briquettes and dumped in center. So far so good ... ahhh ... but Murphy reappears.

Well, I probably invited him ... I probably didn’t get the egg fully up to temp, mixed in too much wood, and Ultra Q blowing hard to get to temp ... way too much smoke. And then the controller got stuck on ‘Open Lid‘ error. Locked up and wouldn’t do anything ... no reading at all. Updated the firmware ... no dice. Moved the alligator clip pit probe a couple times, and got it to reset and kick in again. Of course, pit temp still too low.
Then checked against my Inkbird. That one read 60* hotter! WTF? Moved the clip again, and NOW read same as Inkbird. Best I can tell is part of this rib rack is aluminum, part steel. When I moved it from the aluminum holder designed for this to the steel, it started reading correctly again. Going to ditch that alligator clip probe and use a regular one (if it works). Probably the culprit generating too much smoke too fast.

Hoping they don’t turn out too bitter and salvageable. But I’m down about 11-0 in the 4th inning ... gonna need a helluva rally. Have righty Sam Adams and lefty Jose Cuervo warming up in the bullpen.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Yep, we have all had one of those days! Hope it gets better! Just hope you can see good enough to differentiate between beer can and pop can...after a few beers and accidentally opening a pop can and taking a drink when expecting beer isn't pleasant! Somehow I know this...but in my defense it was dark! :emoji_laughing:

Ryan

Reactions: Inscrutable
Well, all things considered, ended pretty well. Guru worked very well for the last 3-4 hours of the cook. They got probe tender, and sampling the rib tips the smoke wasn’t bitter or overpowering as feared. And this rib rack worked well... added a little Apple juice to the pan part way thru and put a loose foil tent over it for an hour or so. Held some moisture but not to the extent of steaming or softening the bark much.
had a little trepidation on how they’d cook on edge, but seem to be consistent all across the racks. And could probably get 5 racks in that, making the most of the limited egg capacity.

Wife not feeling well, so saved for tomorrow along with doing some other cooks planned for the 4th that got postponed.
5A88E111-E764-40A9-A9AD-8C24AA91286F.jpeg
7EBDEFCA-573B-4CBB-89B6-E93CE8B39DDD.jpeg
3311EA58-F7A0-410C-9441-B09086692244.jpeg

Never seen a rib rack like that before.
But the ribs sure look good!
Al
Yes, same here Al ... I had a segmented rectangular vertical one (sorta like seats on a bus), but full rack ends still hung over to direct heat and would overcook and dry out, and not enough airspace between them. Saw this when shopping for a PID controller for the egg. Space has always been about my only complaint with it, and this solves it well.

So I head out first thing to snag a few things at grocery, including a butt sale.
But when we docked last night the river was REALLY high, so wanted to check our dock lines. Looked ok, but we are pulling the boat today. (Some demolition starting this week very close to the docks and will be a big mess for a while), and hadn’t seen my stern tie-downs, so boarded and rummaging around for those.

And found 3” of water in the cubby under helm console! WTF? Think when the boat service place pulled my gauges so I could send off to be reconditioned, they didn’t cover the console holes and it must have rained in there a ton.
So I bail that out with half a plastic clamshell case a dock line came in ... of course it crappy and get all over me, so when done I went to dock water spigot to rinse off a bit.

And of course, my glasses fall off into the drink. Grrrr. And I can’t read my shopping list on my phone, so back to the house.
And stuck for 5 min behind a car at our gated entrance who apparently doesn’t live there and can’t read the 3 signs posted to use the call box to call the security guys who will open the gate. I finally get out of my car to tell her what to do.

No time for a butt today, so pulled 2 racks of StLouie’s out of the freezer ... should get back to my happy place by dinner :emoji_fingers_crossed:
Stay tuned ...

Hope your day gets better... Wow, what a hassle....

JC :emoji_cat:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky