Standing Rib Roast $4.47lb!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
It's all better than the disparity I see over tritip, I still just don't understand that at all. I'll score two today and do a little butchering and vac-sealing in the kitchen. A couple of boneless roast, beef rack, and steaks for the year. RAY
DSCN0928.JPG

Here in Cali the Winco stores have tri tip for $2.98 lb. At that price I smoke a few and grind the rest. Wish I had a Fry's near me.

I scored two, 36lbs! There will be enough to try Bear's ribs, that'll be a initial type of cut for me. I figure to grind what's left from that cut into a Christmas Day meatloaf for my toothless 94 year-old father-in-law. Boneless ribeye steaks, roasts, Bear's ribs, and a rack, time to tune some blades! RAY
DSCN1378.JPG
DSCN1379.JPG

Damn Ray those are a couple nice looking roasts! I think I am going to order one today and go pick it up tomorrow. Need to figure out a good way to take the bones out!

Reactions: sawhorseray
This turned out great! You never really know what you're getting until the knife work begins, the horror of a big glob of fat running thru the entire eye has happened to me before, tho not today, these twins were gorgeous.
DSCN1380.JPG

I tried the surgical glove over the Kevlar glove like I read here the other day, that's something I'll do every time from here on out. I tried to find the post so I could give kudos to the author and just didn't find it anywhere.
DSCN1381.JPG

Kudos to Bear! I got a couple of three ribbers from his dino rib thread, and a couple of small boneless roasts with what was left, and a nice 5 pounder to boot!

Ten 1&1/2" boneless ribeye steaks seasoned and vac-sealed for sous vide
DSCN1383.JPG

A couple of little racks to play with and enough trimmed off to square things up that I'll grind into a meatloaf. My freezer is a thing of beauty!

DSCN1384.JPG

Merry Christmas to all SMF'ers, the best forum on the planet! RAY

Nice score Ray! My wife nixed the roast :emoji_disappointed: So I bought a pack of 2 steaks instead. :emoji_wink:

John John John, you go to the market without telling your wife and score. When you get home you tell her about all the great savings, and something like, "I thought you'd like some prime rib honey". RAY

Wow!!
Sure is a lot of good looking flesh shots on this page.
I got a nice 10.5 pound "choice" last week @ $4.76 from Giant.
I trimmed the Ribs off & split the rest into 2 of my usual size Prime Rib Smokes. They went into the end of the line & hope to see them in about a Year.

Bear

You all got me beat but wasnt trying to save a lot just trying for a good looking piece of meat, will try to post a after cooking/sliced picture, a filet knife is the easiest way to debone and leave the least amount of meat on the bones, bones become a different meal if I debone the roast. this 1 will be cooked bone in. Merry Christmas to all.

Same here Al. I’ve got a few select grade @ $4.99 but the cheapest choice near me is Kroger @ $6.99 limit 1.

Thought I'd mention:
I always get Choice, but one time I got Select, and I honestly didn't notice a difference from all of my Choice Roasts. I still get Choice, but I wouldn't hesitate on Select if need be.

Bear

Damn Ray those are a couple nice looking roasts! I think I am going to order one today and go pick it up tomorrow. Need to figure out a good way to take the bones out!

It's real easy with any sharp knife, if you stay between 1/2" to 1" away from the bones. Then you'll have some nice extra meat on the bones for a "Dino Smoke" on another day. I like to save a few from my Prime Ribs, and Smoke them all at once.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky