Stall at 145 - Safety question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cjogrady

Original poster
Mar 23, 2019
I put a pork shoulder in my WSM around 10:30 last night under windy, cold conditions that I didn't account for properly. All was well until my thermometer alarm woke me up at 4:45 this morning to let me know that the cooker had dropped to 215; the meat was at 147. I was unfortunately cashed on charcoal (again, lack of planning on my part), and I wasn't able to get to the store until late this morning, so I've been struggling to get the temp up. I've got it running at 275 now, and the meat temp is climbing again.

Is it trash, though? Can it be eaten?

It got up above 140 in the proper amount of time, but this was a looooong stall much lower than I've stalled before. I have plenty of time until people come over tonight, so I have the time to leave it in all day and cook it to 205. I want to be safe, but I'm also without a backup plan. Any advice and/or wisdom would be appreciated

If it didn’t go back below 140, I expect you’ll be fine, as you were above the pasteurization temp all the time, and you are dealing with a solid piece of meat.

You are good... the interior of the meat was considered sterile when you put it on the smoker, and now the outside has smoke on it which inhibits microbe growth.
145* is the new safe cooking temp. for whole cuts of pork as per the USDA.

And,,,you held that temp. for an extended period of time.....pasteurizing the meat.....so, you are good. can either continue the cook or pull it off and eat.

You are fine. All the bacteria were killed...JJJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky