St. Louis Saturday

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Buckeye02

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
May 26, 2020
Ohio
Stopped at the meat shop and grabbed a 3 pack of St. Louis style ribs. In-laws are coming over for dinner tonight. Rubbed 2 with Pitt Boss sweet heat and one with a homemade coffee based rub I got off here. Smoker set at 225° with a mixture of Apple and Mesquite pellets. Figured out this summer we like em better without wrapping. So letting them ride unwrapped until about 195 for me and then for my wife up to around 205. She prefers fall off the bone. Hope everyone has a great weekend!
20200912_102540.jpg
20200912_082010.jpg

Looks good. Got a question.....Looking at the lid of your smoker. The left side is that from your AMPS?

Yea it has to be. Thats the only place I've ever set it. Ive noticed that I can run the smoker on 200° on the dial and maintain pretty close to 225. And if I run it at 225 with the tube in it it'll run around 250. But then without the tube it runs what the dial says. So for this smoker the tube must add roughly 25°

Yea it has to be. Thats the only place I've ever set it. Ive noticed that I can run the smoker on 200° on the dial and maintain pretty close to 225. And if I run it at 225 with the tube in it it'll run around 250. But then without the tube it runs what the dial says. So for this smoker the tube must add roughly 25°
And thats all based off of the Inkbird 4 probe WiFi. Not the grill

Reactions: JLeonard

How do you like the Cuisinart? Have you done anything like a brisket that takes 10+ hours on it yet?

I recently bought a Pit Boss Austin XL from Wal-Mart and liked it well but returned it after a softball sized piece of paint peeled off inside the lid. The local store has the Cuisinart Woodcreek and I have to say it seems to check alot of boxes especially for the money.

How do you like the Cuisinart? Have you done anything like a brisket that takes 10+ hours on it yet?

I recently bought a Pit Boss Austin XL from Wal-Mart and liked it well but returned it after a softball sized piece of paint peeled off inside the lid. The local store has the Cuisinart Woodcreek and I have to say it seems to check alot of boxes especially for the money.
I haven't done any brisket on it because I personally don't care for brisket. But I have done probably 6-8 butts on it for around 8-14hrs per butt. I haven't had any trouble with it. I use the lumberjack pellets and get a decent amount of smoke on whatever I smoke. I also use the Amazen smoke tube too. Ive taken it up to 500° a couple of times and it done great. The grill body is decently made. The stand is pretty cheap. But for 500$ can't expect much more than that. Overall though its a pretty good unit. It'll hold roughly 25° plus or minus for a 12hr smoke

I haven't done any brisket on it because I personally don't care for brisket. But I have done probably 6-8 butts on it for around 8-14hrs per butt. I haven't had any trouble with it. I use the lumberjack pellets and get a decent amount of smoke on whatever I smoke. I also use the Amazen smoke tube too. Ive taken it up to 500° a couple of times and it done great. The grill body is decently made. The stand is pretty cheap. But for 500$ can't expect much more than that. Overall though its a pretty good unit. It'll hold roughly 25° plus or minus for a 12hr smoke

Good to know. There are a few reviews online but not much real info about the grill and how it works day in day out

One recurring issue seems to be that there's no chimbley but rather a slit across the back that vents smoke. Apparently it releases too much smoke. Is that valid or just a complaint that someone made and is now getting repeated by others ?

Good to know. There are a few reviews online but not much real info about the grill and how it works day in day out

One recurring issue seems to be that there's no chimbley but rather a slit across the back that vents smoke. Apparently it releases too much smoke. Is that valid or just a complaint that someone made and is now getting repeated by others ?
I dont have any complaints with it. Never noticed any less smoke than the pitboss vertical copperhead 5

I dont have any complaints with it. Never noticed any less smoke than the pitboss vertical copperhead 5
How bad does the viewing window get and how hard is it to clean? I like the idea of the window and see them offered by Pit Boss, Camp Chef. But it is a smoker after all. I imagine it'll get pretty opaque after an all day smoke.

How bad does the viewing window get and how hard is it to clean? I like the idea of the window and see them offered by Pit Boss, Camp Chef. But it is a smoker after all. I imagine it'll get pretty opaque after an all day smoke.
It gets dirty. But nothing a simple swipe of a razor blade doesn't fix. Thats how I clean it. I haven't scratched it doing it that way

It gets dirty. But nothing a simple swipe of a razor blade doesn't fix. Thats how I clean it. I haven't scratched it doing it that way
Thanks for the info.

How's the BlueTooth app? That's another thing that seems to have negative reviews. Again; real issue or someone parroting something they read somewhere?

I guess the real question is, "Would you buy it again knowing what you do now?"

The app sucks. I just ended up buying an inkbird. And its been a decent smoker. But if I had to do it all over again I'd buy the rec tec 700. Ive seen lots of really good videos on that smoker. And also read a lot about it on here .

Thanks for that. I'll probably take a hard pass then on the Cuisinart. The RT-700 is out of my budget. Maybe I'll start looking at Camp Chef or Green Mountain...
Ive seen a lot of guys on here with great things to say about both of those brands

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky