St. Louis ribs

Discussion in 'Pork' started by tom 178, Aug 24, 2014.

1. tom 178

tom 178 Meat Mopper

I put some ribs in and have them out just now. Will have qview in a while.

2. tom 178

tom 178 Meat Mopper

These are some good ribs from Echo & Rig butcher. They came out a little too tender, how do you guys get them to not be too tender? They were not really mushy but were falling apart more than I like.

3. waterinholebrew

waterinholebrew Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Good lookin ribbies.... Did ya foil ? If so maybe not foil as long ! Pull em off sooner for some bite off the bone !

4. tom 178

tom 178 Meat Mopper

Yes I did foil them but I guess for too long. I was afraid to put them back on after the foil came off because they were already pretty much done. Thanks for the reply. I will do that next time  [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  5. soonersmokering

soonersmokering Fire Starter

If you used the 3-2-1 for spares I find that's too long and results in an over tender rib.  This happens especially at higher cooking temps and temperatures swings during the cook, try to stay around 225F.  I've been having luck with a 3-1-1 method for my spares, but I find it a real pain to foil for only one hour...  works though.

6. yotzee

yotzee Smoking Fanatic

That's why I quit foiling.  Pain in the butt.  Now I just let them cook with the door closed for a good 4 hours before I even look at them.

7. oldschoolbbq

oldschoolbbq Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Tom , Ribs look good. Job well done . next time , try no foil . Easy and puts you into your cook more (that's called LOVE) . [​IMG]

Have fun and . . .

yotzee likes this.
  8. swoodze

swoodze Fire Starter

Looks good to me.

9. dave17a

dave17a Smoking Fanatic

What Sooner said. Usually 3-2 done. The last one hr. is  for bark and competition. Who cares! when it is done it is done. Experiment on foil. I personally like that part and have done DR. Pepper on wrap. Got a bud that does comprtition and do not want any part of it. Do your taste. Comp is for someone elses liking, smothered in sauce and so many seasonings.Said and done. Do like Trigg's way yhough. Good recipe's.[​IMG]

10. I use the hot and fast method. 1-1.5 hours on the grill, 300-350 1 hour in a cooler.  They come out extra tender and juicy.

11. I definitely skip the foil process. 3-2-1 was where I cut my teeth on spareribs.

My process for bite off the bones is 3 hours in smoker, next 2 hours spray every

hour, last hour is for sauce.

I keep my WSM between 225 and 250. Weather been especially stable, my labor

day Spares ran at 230 straight through.

MP

12. oldschoolbbq

oldschoolbbq Smoking Guru OTBS Member

I use no foil and don't open my smoker until I get the smell I want. then open and a quick bend test and some Turbinato sugar sprinkles.

Bite off tender , no fall off the bone and no sauce needed. 6hrs.@225*F total.

Have fun and . . .

13. stonesfan

stonesfan Newbie

Looks Good to me!  Makes me want to Smoke some Ribs this weekend.................................................................[​IMG]

Stoney

14. I have two racks of St  Louis ribs ready to go. Now I need to find a good rub. All these pics here just made me hungry.[​IMG]

15. huntem likes this.
  16. [​IMG]   THANK YOU Mr 5 oclock!

17. You are very welcome. Smoke On!!! Thumbs Up

18. Well this happened. I did a store bought dry rub than let them rest in the fridge for a few hours.(I will be ordering the site rub) I set smoker 225 for three hours. Than foiled for a hour. I couldn't taste the rub. the smoke was great a little sweat baby and they were good. not quit falling apart like I like, That probably means more foil time right? I have seen different ideas of how long the rub should be  on them prior to smoke. The MAC & Cheese came out great, But next time I will smoke some beans with then. [​IMG]Here's to delicious beer and delicious smoking!

19. tom 178

tom 178 Meat Mopper

Looks good Huntem. I really like the Mac & Cheese smoked.[​IMG]

20. jbills5

jbills5 Meat Mopper

If you are set on foiling, one thing I learned was to check the ribs after about an hour in foil.  What you can do is just open the foiling on one rack of ribs and give one of the bones a little tug.  If it feels like it could pull out of the rib easily, your wrapping is done.  You can then put back on the smoker, unwrapped, and that will tighten the ribs back up and then sauce.