St. Louis Ribs Part 2. Started late!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DougCA

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 14, 2018
Round two of Costco St. Louis ribs. This time, no pan - direct on the grates. Saturday it took about 6 hours to finish at 225 with the pan/bakers rack.

I meant to start today's cook at Noon, but got delayed then managed to let the smoker run out of pellets while I was preparing the ribs. I set it at 245 and started at 2 with the hope that it gets done around 6-6:30. I guess if needed, I can bump up the temp at 5p to finish them up? Suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_7997 Medium.jpeg
    IMG_7997 Medium.jpeg
    111 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
4.5 hours in, the front rack seems to be passing the bend test and it's a thin rack. The back rack has more meat on it and doesn't seem to be passing the bend test, still not vertical or cracking, but a rib is fell out when I moved it. Seems a bit early to be done, no?

Attachments

• IMG_7999 Medium.jpeg
    IMG_7999 Medium.jpeg
    111.5 KB · Views: 14
4.5 hours in, the front rack seems to be passing the bend test and it's a thin rack. The back rack has more meat on it and doesn't seem to be passing the bend test, still not vertical or cracking, but a rib is fell out when I moved it. Seems a bit early to be done, no?
I don't obviously know anything about your pit, but mine, running at 250°, takes 3 hours for St. Louis ribs to be done.

Reactions: DougCA
I don't obviously know anything about your pit, but mine, running at 250°, takes 3 hours for St. Louis ribs to be done.
It's a pellet - LG 900.

I'm a bit surprised to read 3 hours. Almost everything I have read online says 5-6 hrs for STL. You think that rib falling out indicates I should pull it?

It's a pellet - LG 900.

I'm a bit surprised to read 3 hours. Almost everything I have read online says 5-6 hrs for STL. You think that rib falling out indicates I should pull it?
Oh yeah. I think it is past done when a rib just slides out.

My pit has serious convection. It cooks fast. My old Char Broil, I was 4-5 hours in for ribs.

Reactions: bauchjw and DougCA
Oh yeah. I think it is past done when a rib just slides out.

My pit has serious convection. It cooks fast. My old Char Broil, I was 4-5 hours in for ribs.

Thanks. I'll pull it now. I pulled the other rack and they were fine. The meat wasn't falling off the bone or anything, but came off easily. Tough balance on done vs overdone for us noobs lol.

Well, I hope you've pulled them by now. How'd they turn out?

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky