St Louis Ribs in #3

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tomd8

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 21, 2018
I finally got to do a St. Louis rib rack in my #3. I thought I’d try the “no peak” approach since I had always done the 3-2-1 or the 2.5-2.5-1 in my other smoker. I did a yellow mustard base and Jeff’s rub (modified with less sugar and less salt) the night before and into the fridge. I used a 2 oz mixture of a cherry chunk, hickory & pecan chips and blended pellets all foiled with some air holes. I also added a small aluminum pan of apple juice and water next to the smoke box. I smoked at 225 for 6.5 hrs bringing the ribs temp up to 196. Pulled them and let them rest for 30 minutes. These were very moist with great bark and flavor. Ribs were great with or without side sauce. All wood and pellets burned great into charcoal. I think these were my best ribs yet although the smoke flavor could have been a bit stronger so I will up the wood next time. It’s amazing how much moisture is retained in this smoker. Looks like I don't need to foil ribs in this box. Sorry no pics.

Last edited:
Only reason i can see is to get fall off the bones quicker without drying the edges out, basically steaming them at the end, likem any way I can get them lol

The SI smokers do a fine job on ribs. I have not yet found a need to foil ribs although I did go that route with both the Cookshack and the SI just to see if there was any improvement. No improvement so I smoke ribs naked.

Hi Dave - I just did another rack of St. Louis ribs yesterday using the no peek method. 5.5 hrs @ approx 235deg, only opened to probe for tenderness and they were done. I did use a small pan with apple juice alongside the heater box. 2.5 oz of cherry, hickory, pecan, apple and maple combo of chunks, chips and pellets. Ribs came out moist and tasted great. I absolutely love this smoker.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky