St Louis cut ribs, my best ever

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

joetee

Smoke Blower
Original poster
May 25, 2017
Georgetown, Ky
Well I smoked 3 racks of st louis ribs 3 week ends in a row trying to master them. I have not been crazy about my ribs so I thought I would make it a point to master.

I think I achieved it. They are the best I've ever eaten.

I smoked at 225° with fogo and apple wood. Did not wrap until they were done via the bend test. Placed in the cooler for about an hour to rest while making the sides. Tried a new Rub. They took about 7 hours to smoke.
Oh and I didn't add any sauce. Served that on the side.

Attachments

• 20201017_082427.jpg
    20201017_082427.jpg
    268.3 KB · Views: 44
  • 20201017_185010.jpg
    20201017_185010.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 49
  • 20201017_193152.jpg
    20201017_193152.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 48
I also continue to work on perfect ribs and I can testify that no matter how you cook them, some ribs you buy are just more (or less) tender than the last ones you bought.
I've switched to the lightest ones I can find, they seem to be more tender as a rule.
So if I see 4 or 4+ lb racks, I look for 3 lb racks..

Reactions: cm-q and joetee
Those look mighty fine. Was planning to do ribs tomorrow but the ribs didn't look good and the whole chickens were 59 cents a pound so had to change plans.

Reactions: joetee
Well I smoked 3 racks of st louis ribs 3 week ends in a row trying to master them. I have not been crazy about my ribs so I thought I would make it a point to master.

I think I achieved it. They are the best I've ever eaten.

I smoked at 225° with fogo and apple wood. Did not wrap until they were done via the bend test. Placed in the cooler for about an hour to rest while making the sides. Tried a new Rub. They took about 7 hours to smoke.
Oh and I didn't add any sauce. Served that on the side.

Those look fantastic man, congrats!

Your method sounds about like mine where I don't wrap at all and I smoke to 198F internal temp (IT). SmokinAl found that 195F IT makes bite off the bone ribs, I go a hair further.
I too put sauce on the side and I don't put any sugar in my seasoning/rub. I rock Salt, Pepper, Onion, Garlic, and Paprika for my pork rib and pork butt seasoning. Simple and very good flavor!

The only other difference is I do my ribs at 250-275F depending on how fast I want them to cook. They dont care what temp they are cooked at haha.

Congrats again and welcome to the no wrapped world of pork ribs!!! :D

Reactions: joetee
Those look fantastic man, congrats!

Your method sounds about like mine where I don't wrap at all and I smoke to 198F internal temp (IT). SmokinAl found that 195F IT makes bite off the bone ribs, I go a hair further.
I too put sauce on the side and I don't put any sugar in my seasoning/rub. I rock Salt, Pepper, Onion, Garlic, and Paprika for my pork rib and pork butt seasoning. Simple and very good flavor!

The only other difference is I do my ribs at 250-275F depending on how fast I want them to cook. They dont care what temp they are cooked at haha.

Congrats again and welcome to the no wrapped world of pork ribs!!! :D
I can't wait to get my LSG probably Dec. The 275° cook I think will be very good for most of my meats. I'm having a little heat issue with my set up now. A little hot on the bottom of my meat if I run a long cook at 275°.

Thank you for you commits.

Reactions: tallbm
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky