St Louis, baby backs and belly

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Aj33

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 29, 2020
Following on from the questions thread I thought I would post a separate thread on the outcomes (apologies mods if I have made mistake here).

had some friends around yesterday and smoked up some stuff and did a direct heat bbq too.

so, smoked a St. Louis cut rack, an Iberico pork baby back racks and a piece of pork belly with an oak, hickory and cherry blend.

the guests loved it…absolutely devoured the lot. Bones were clean as clean gets. I even had someone say it was the best bbq they had ever had including in the states (I’m in the U.K.) admittedly, NYC was the only reference point, does that count?

as always thanks to those that provided reassurance and advice.

oh and the final picture on the serving board has several ribs stacked up.

Attachments

• 7A366BAA-F466-4D52-B4E1-D1B36AB6DD08.jpeg
    7A366BAA-F466-4D52-B4E1-D1B36AB6DD08.jpeg
    159.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 94F00382-3B52-4C4F-8ABA-F2F30EE22813.jpeg
    94F00382-3B52-4C4F-8ABA-F2F30EE22813.jpeg
    173.1 KB · Views: 34
  • 0DD1AE6C-465D-432A-8BE8-B4C38BA47CED.jpeg
    0DD1AE6C-465D-432A-8BE8-B4C38BA47CED.jpeg
    150.5 KB · Views: 36
  • 467128B8-CD83-422D-BEA8-9C7BE7BA6C9E.jpeg
    467128B8-CD83-422D-BEA8-9C7BE7BA6C9E.jpeg
    276.5 KB · Views: 37
all looks great.

curious, how much did those ribs cost? and how much does pork loin/shoulder?

NYC! Hell no. You have to go way south AND west to find really great bbq in the states.
Your bbq does look good though. If the guests liked it, then that’s all you need to know. Good job.

Looks great! If you and your guests are happy that's all that matters!

I am doing a 6 lb Boston Butt today, started about 7 AM. I am officially in 'the stall' and can't get past 167 degrees. Guests arrive at 6 PM. I am getting nervous...

I am doing a 6 lb Boston Butt today, started about 7 AM. I am officially in 'the stall' and can't get past 167 degrees. Guests arrive at 6 PM. I am getting nervous...
How much did that butt cost you??

As for the stall, I usually wrap. Don't need any liquid, but many use apple juice. Pineapple juice + chinese 5 spice is always a hit for me. With wrapping you can crank up the heat quite a bit as well (I'd shoot for ~325*F) and get that fat really boiling.

It was $2.98 a lb at Sams Club.

I panicked, threw in a bunch of lump charcoal.

I am now at 415 in the smoker and 187 in meat.

My original plan was to pull it out at 200 degrees but if I hit 190 I may pull it then.

My original plan is shredded at this point but, I am a newb at this. Maybe I'll start at 6 AM next time....

oops, i thought you were the OP (why i asked the price)

it is not too late to wrap. and be careful judging by thermometers on things like pork butt

Following on from the questions thread I thought I would post a separate thread on the outcomes (apologies mods if I have made mistake here).

had some friends around yesterday and smoked up some stuff and did a direct heat bbq too.

so, smoked a St. Louis cut rack, an Iberico pork baby back racks and a piece of pork belly with an oak, hickory and cherry blend.

the guests loved it…absolutely devoured the lot. Bones were clean as clean gets. I even had someone say it was the best bbq they had ever had including in the states (I’m in the U.K.) admittedly, NYC was the only reference point, does that count?

Looks good, Aj! If the guests liked it you nailed it.
Not sure about the NYC thing for BBQ....

Reactions: Aj33

Looks great, Aj. Everything worked out and like all said above, if the Guests were happy, you did well.

You are hijacking AJ’s thread. Start your own next time. As for the stall problem, wrap the dang meat in foil. It will finish in no time.

You are hijacking AJ’s thread. Start your own next time. As for the stall problem, wrap the dang meat in foil. It will finish in no time.

it sounded to me like he thought he was posting in the right place; lots of older people are bad at forums, lol.

B Bubarooni what he means is to find the appropriate forum on the main page and click "start new thread"

back on track, i'd be surprised if there were no good places for bbq at all in NYC.. it's simply too big.

Looks like you had a great feast!! Where did you get the Iberico pork?

Thanks for all the messages everyone and all the positive comments. Greatly appreciated.

all looks great.

curious, how much did those ribs cost? and how much does pork loin/shoulder?
Thanks, well the cost will be in British pounds but the St. Louis cut was £16.95 (1.3-1.4kg)and the iberico baby backs were £8 (1.1kg). The belly was a slice from a larger bone in belly that I had previously butchered. Can’t find the price right now.
NYC! Hell no. You have to go way south AND west to find really great bbq in the states.
Your bbq does look good though. If the guests liked it, then that’s all you need to know. Good job.
I suspected as much, but it was his only point of reference. That being said, I imagine with the size of NYC it’s totally possible to find good places. As pointed out below. Just don’t know if he found that place lol.
it sounded to me like he thought he was posting in the right place; lots of older people are bad at forums, lol.

B Bubarooni what he means is to find the appropriate forum on the main page and click "start new thread"

back on track, i'd be surprised if there were no good places for bbq at all in NYC.. it's simply too big.
Looks good, Aj! If the guests liked it you nailed it.
Not sure about the NYC thing for BBQ....
Thanks! Agreed.
Looks like you had a great feast!! Where did you get the Iberico pork?
The Iberico came from a Spanish food importer in the U.K.. The extra fat made them seriously awesome

thankfully for me I have another rack of the iberico and some spare ribs that I will square up.

Reactions: jcam222 and Hamdrew
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky