st lois spares taking waaay to long?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

desertsubi

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 12, 2016
Tennessee
So im now 8 hours into these. never wrapped as I didnt expect them to need it. they are hovering around 174... smoker temps started at 215 and now im up to 240.

What in the heck!

I went out and put a fork under them and lifted and in the center they bent easy and semi broke the tops... im curious if maybe temp isnt my target this time and my ribs are done... however where it broke was not the thickest either.

picture showing current status.

Attachments

• PXL_20220725_191057823.jpg
    PXL_20220725_191057823.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 33
215 is pretty low I always do mine 225-250, usually takes 5-6 hours
I kicked it up about an hour ago to 240, I have never had a rack take 8 hours though to hit 190. Im just wondering if im overcooking them at this point.

If they are bending easily, they may be done. What therm are you using and have you checked it for accuracy?

Depend how you like them fall off bone or a little bite to them, fall off bone I'd leave a little longer, some bite they may be good to go

215° is too low.
I usually do ribs at 225° - 250° and average 6-7 hours cook time depending on thickness.

I don't go by IT with ribs.
If they passed the Pop, Bend and Crack test then they're done.
Usually gives me a nice Light Tug finish, which is what I prefer.

IIRC, SmokinAl SmokinAl goes by an IT of 195° for Light Tug finish.

Last edited:
Reactions: Retired Spook
LOL.. all worried about nothing...

Thinking your Chamber temps are not what you think they are ...

Glad all is good ...

Just never had a rack take that long lol, even my kid who is still getting used to the whole concept of ribs is on top of them... These were worth the wait that is for sure.

Yep, sounds like you're not getting a true cooking temp.

Thermometer originally built into smoker?
Hard to trust those unless it happens to be a TEL-TRU and well placed.
The Thermapen isn't ideal for measuring cooking temps, it's meant for temps in solids or liquids.

Get ya a therm that will accurately measure grate temp.
Inkbird is a sponsor here and makes decent and budget friendly digital therms. And they post a lot of sales too.

Yep, sounds like you're not getting a true cooking temp.

Thermometer originally built into smoker?
Hard to trust those unless it happens to be a TEL-TRU and well placed.
The Thermapen isn't ideal for measuring cooking temps, it's meant for temps in solids or liquids.

Get ya a therm that will accurately measure grate temp.
Inkbird is a sponsor here and makes decent and budget friendly digital therms. And they post a lot of sales too.

I cant use the Thermapen to measure meat temps? thats what I meant, Ive got a few other therms I will do a test run with and see if the other sensor is off.
Its very possible.

I misunderstood you.
Yes it's fine for meat.

yea I would not use it to measure grate temp, that wont end well. The unit has a built in therm for both the grill and the protein, I will double check grill temps on it next time I use it. not a huge deal to set that up.

As chilerelleno chilerelleno stated above about using an aftermarket thermometer. You will save yourself a lot of grief by purchasing one. Myself I use the Thermoworks Smoke ... I see they offer 10% off for first time buyers ...

For any of the therms you have now... Have you calibrated them in boiling water to make sure they are reading correctly ?? And you'll want to do this with any terms purchased in the future just to verify they are reading correctly...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky