St. Lois Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Millberry

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 12, 2020
Buford, GA
I can not take time to explain my LIFE the last month.I won't even get into it. Just sorry I have missed so much on here and I am "trying" to catch up. I want to tell you what I am planning on doing tomorrow and if anyone would like to say ""Charlie- that is wrong" then please do. (such as..start spritzing sooner or don't use BBQ sauce until time to eat)
TODAY:
St. Louis ribs
Membrane left on
Cajun creole butter injected
Killer Hog BBQ rub
TOMMOROW:
Smoke in WSM with applewood in the morning
Cook 3 hours, then spritz-top side only - repeat 30 minutes later
At 4 hour mark....well, better yet, at 190 degrees..cover thick with BBQ sauce (Top only)
Remove when passing bend test OR 195-196 degrees (200 degrees for FOTB)

Yes- I am watching the Talladega Race and drinking rye whiskey--Why do you ask?

I spritz when they start looking a little dry, no specific time but a couple hours in so you're on track. You didn't say temp but at 225-250°F, spares usually run 6 hrs for me so 4 hrs may be a bit early to sauce. I haven't done ribs for a long time, prices have been out of control on the around here :emoji_disappointed:

I spritz when they start looking a little dry, no specific time but a couple hours in so you're on track. You didn't say temp but at 225-250°F, spares usually run 6 hrs for me so 4 hrs may be a bit early to sauce. I haven't done ribs for a long time, prices have been out of control on the around here :emoji_disappointed:
I sure appreciate you taking the time to send that reply--Will Do!

Reactions: WaterRat
Sounds like a darned fine plan Charlie! I start spritzing right when I feel like it, so the ribs don't dry out, usually a couple hours in, I never wrap. I toothpick probe at around 190º IT, and sauce with about 20-30 minutes to go. Spares take about six hours on my offset, sometimes a little more, runs around 275º most of the time. I like Evan Williams neat most days, I'm about an hour away from that right now, watching the golf. RAY

Texture is important to me. I pull mine at 195 probed in the thickest part of the meat. Also, I remove the membrane. I've tried both ways and prefer it removed. Rubs and sauce are a personal preference, but my favorite way is salt brine overnight (1/2 cup to 1 gal. water). I sauce mine after about three hours at 250 and will brush some on top every now and then to keep it looking moist. I coat both sides and keep meat side up during the entire smoke. I periodically spray apple cider vinegar, no pattern, just whenever I feel the urge to look. No wrap. Sauce?
1619387032493.png

I bought this at Walmart on a whim. Don't knock it 'til you try it. I have a stick burning smoker:
RiverGrille Farmers Grill and Smoker | Smoking Meat Forums - The Best Barbecue Discussion Forum On Earth!

This sounds really cliche
Sorry Charlie!
I can relate with my own health challenges since November last year, and finally seeing recovery.

I ran a St Louis cut rack plus the trimmings on the pooper today.
Peeled the membrane. Does anyone know the purpose of the "membrane" ? It is an airtight (seal) lining in the chest cavity of all living creatures with lungs so we can breathe.
Does smoke or spice penetrate a seal?

I use a light dust of my (no sugar & low salt) spice blend with an hour in wrap and an hour to air dry.
No spritz, no wrap, and no sauce.

Sounds like a darned fine plan Charlie! I start spritzing right when I feel like it, so the ribs don't dry out, usually a couple hours in, I never wrap. I toothpick probe at around 190º IT, and sauce with about 20-30 minutes to go. Spares take about six hours on my offset, sometimes a little more, runs around 275º most of the time. I like Evan Williams neat most days, I'm about an hour away from that right now, watching the golf. RAY
Thanks so much

This sounds really cliche
Sorry Charlie!
I can relate with my own health challenges since November last year, and finally seeing recovery.

I ran a St Louis cut rack plus the trimmings on the pooper today.
Peeled the membrane. Does anyone know the purpose of the "membrane" ? It is an airtight (seal) lining in the chest cavity of all living creatures with lungs so we can breathe.
Does smoke or spice penetrate a seal?

I use a light dust of my (no sugar & low salt) spice blend with an hour in wrap and an hour to air dry.
No spritz, no wrap, and no sauce.
LOL-I don't know what it is for either

Texture is important to me. I pull mine at 195 probed in the thickest part of the meat. Also, I remove the membrane. I've tried both ways and prefer it removed. Rubs and sauce are a personal preference, but my favorite way is salt brine overnight (1/2 cup to 1 gal. water). I sauce mine after about three hours at 250 and will brush some on top every now and then to keep it looking moist. I coat both sides and keep meat side up during the entire smoke. I periodically spray apple cider vinegar, no pattern, just whenever I feel the urge to look. No wrap. Sauce?
View attachment 494053
I bought this at Walmart on a whim. Don't knock it 'til you try it. I have a stick burning smoker:
RiverGrille Farmers Grill and Smoker | Smoking Meat Forums - The Best Barbecue Discussion Forum On Earth!
I have GOT to try that brine idea. Thanks for the Walmart idea.

I have GOT to try that brine idea. Thanks for the Walmart idea.
I used to subscribe to the "Ol' Uncle Buck's Super Special Slap Yo Mama" specialty type sauces, but I got to thinking a company like French's probably has a staff of chefs and endless tasting trials to verify and improve the flavor of their products. If it's not perfect they lose massive amounts of money. Trying that sauce confirmed my suspicion that it's hard to beat the big name-brand stuff. This might be considered blasphemy on this site, but what's good is good.

I used to subscribe to the "Ol' Uncle Buck's Super Special Slap Yo Mama" specialty type sauces, but I got to thinking a company like French's probably has a staff of chefs and endless tasting trials to verify and improve the flavor of their products. If it's not perfect they lose massive amounts of money. Trying that sauce confirmed my suspicion that it's hard to beat the big name-brand stuff. This might be considered blasphemy on this site, but what's good is good.
LOL

Eavan Williams--uh....uh....ok

I GOT to try (test out) that toothpick probe.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky