SQWIBS Urban Garden Adventure

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

You know that's surprizing you can see the stripes forming at such an immature stage on the heirloom tomato.
Maybe because the plant was stressed? I should have pruned it off along with the flowers but I am curious how the plant will do if left alone.

April 26th, 2016 - Last night I was going through all of my landscape lighting supplies to find some lighting for the new bed, I came across 4 railing lights that I decided to use, I ran some wire and connectors today.

April 27th, 2016 - Last night I installed the 4 railing lights and two Bolo lights, I have a 21 watt incandescent bulb in one socket and 3 led's in the other fixtures to see how they looked at night. I did not like the LED's but really like the glow of the incandescent but its 21 watts, that would be 84 watts on the transformer that's too much.

If I used the current LED's, it would be 4 watts but I don't care for them. I ordered some 0.48W LED's to try, that would be less than 2 watts, I also ordered some 11 watt incandescent, I can live with an additional 44 watts on the transformer if need be.
The Bolos had 20 watt bulbs and were replaced with 3 watt luxeon LED's.

Cool -----------------   Only lighting in my garden is when the sun shines

Gary

Been raining since Tuesday and rain is in the forecast till Friday and the lows have been around 45° highs maybe 55°-65°. Everything is at a standstill, I'm hoping for a growth spurt once the soil temps get above 50° or so.

Been raining here all morning  we got a little 7" the other night. Keeps this up I switching to Rice

Gary

I applogize for the hijack, but I have to show you what its like here....... LOL

This is what I planted last Friday

This is what it looks like today.... poor things.

The reason the water is standing in the pot is not poor drainage, its because a 2" hole can't keep up with this weekends rain!

OK, Hijack off.....back to our regularly scheduled program.

I applogize for the hijack, but I have to show you what its like here....... LOL

This is what I planted last Friday

This is what it looks like today.... poor things.

The reason the water is standing in the pot is not poor drainage, its because a 2" hole can't keep up with this weekends rain!

OK, Hijack off.....back to our regularly scheduled program.
No Hijack, this is everyones thread.

Dam dude that sucks, I dont feel so bad now...well I feel bad for you though lol.

If I could make a suggestion....

These bags are doing better than anywhere else. I planted similar plants in three different systems to see what works for me, so far these grow bags are the least work with the best results.

Finished tweaking my "Smoking patio" hopefully I can get some"Smoking" in this weekend and post something in the "Smoking" section.
biggrin.gif

The bags at Lowes is smaller and lighter than the HD Bags and the compost itself looks different.

I really don't know whats up with this composted manure, the three piles further away in the picture are from Home Depot and the one closest me is from Lowes. Here are the following specs;
  • Lowes 1 cu ft $4.98
  • Home Depot 50lb $5.17
  • Home Depot
  • Lowes
The home depot bag definitely has more volume, by like 20% but not sure which is of better quality, they are the same exact bag other than the weight/volume that it is sold by.

I noticed the same thing again when doing this bed, Lowes on the left, Home Depot on the right.
They do that because of their "price match + 10% guarantee".  They got tired of getting beat by $0.10 and having to discount a $50 item by $5.  They don't sell the EXACT same thing anymore, thus no price guarantee.  Lowes sells Black Kow item #0001, while Home Depot sells Black Kow item #0002.  They technically aren't the same item, so they don't have to price match.

If you notice, even their pressure treated lumber is treated to a slightly different percentage as to not be EXACTLY like the other, and they don't have to price match and give the 10% discount.  Home Depot had to give me over $400 off a bunch of 6x6x12 years ago because they were treated to same percentage as Lowes but they were like $4 cheaper.  I was building a retaining wall - that's why I needed so many.

Last edited:
A quick update to live vicariously through....

Better Boy

picture.php

Pink Brandywine
picture.php

Black from Tula
picture.php

Big Beef
picture.php

Matt's Wild Cherry
picture.php

Cherokee Purple
picture.php

As usual, quite a bit of leaf miners, but the plants are setting fruit nicely.

A quick update to live vicariously through....

Better Boy

picture.php

Pink Brandywine
picture.php

Black from Tula
picture.php

Big Beef
picture.php

Matt's Wild Cherry
picture.php

Cherokee Purple
picture.php

As usual, quite a bit of leaf miners, but the plants are setting fruit nicely.
Were their supposed to be pics?

Blueberry/Raspberry

May 4th, 2016 - I busted the top off of the plant a few weeks ago, so I snipped  a few inches off to promote some new growth.

May 5th, 2016 -  These two blueberry plants are doing OK, they are between the two Hugelkultur beds, directly across from the Raspberry Plant. This is the only pairing that made it. One is a Bluejay Blueberry Plant from Stark Bros. and the other is a Blueray Blueberry Plant from Home Depot. I planted these in three areas and grouped one of each together, two plants died, but not sure which they were.

NFT Strawberries

April 30th, 2016 - Added 25 gallons of of fertilizer mix and reduced the flow a bit, waiting for a week of 55°+ weather to switch over from DWC mode.

May 5th, 2016 - leaves are slightly yellowing, doing a bit of research I came across this

[h3]June Yellows [/h3]
  • Plants turn completely yellow in May & June but then later recover
  • Genetic disorder common in Mesabi and related varieties
Not sure if its that or a nitrogen deficiency but they started yellowing after I added more fertz, I'm going to let it go and see what happens.

KOI Pond Patio Planter

April 25th 2016 - The plant is doing OK. I added a few Leeks this past weekend.

​
April 28th 2016 -

April 30th 2016 - Planted a Basil Plant.

May 5th 2016 - Added a rogue strawberry plant I found in the raised bed that I thought was dead, need to do some pruning if it ever warms up and stops raining.

Side Patio Planter

April 28th 2016   -   The Brandywine is slowly perking up. The Basil plants died, I added some Leeks, Parsley and Basil.

May 5th 2016 - The Brandywine is hanging in there. This plant and a Matts Wild cherry are the only two plants that survived the snow and below freezing temps.

Leeks (Koi pond patio planter small)

May 5th, 2016 - I'm hoping the Leeks perk up a bit more so I can add another inch or two of soil to blanch the stems. My wife using this planter as a trashcan for half empty water bottles aren't helping the plants either.

Front House Planter Sweet 100

April 25th, 2016 - I don't know what it is with this planter but the tomato plants seem to love it. I added some leeks to this planter.

April 28th 2016 -

April 30th 2016 - Planted a Basil Plant.

May 5th, 2016 -

May 1st, 2016 - I was looking over my notes and realized that I have a boatload of pepper plants but none that my daughter will eat, so I told her to pick up some seeds and I'll toss in a few plants, I should have thought of this in January..

I planted some, watermelon 2 varieties, sweet peppers, Brussels sprouts (sprouted already) and some spinach, I know it's late especially for the Brussels Sprouts, but I want to see how the Brussels S grows then will replant for a fall crop maybe with some broccoli, lettuces and spinach.

A lot of the leaves look more yellow than they actually are, I think it must be the Droid Turbo's camera settings, I really need to use my good camera.

They do that because of their "price match + 10% guarantee".  They got tired of getting beat by $0.10 and having to discount a $50 item by $5.  They don't sell the EXACT same thing anymore, thus no price guarantee.  Lowes sells Black Kow item #0001, while Home Depot sells Black Kow item #0002.  They technically aren't the same item, so they don't have to price match.

If you notice, even their pressure treated lumber is treated to a slightly different percentage as to not be EXACTLY like the other, and they don't have to price match and give the 10% discount.  Home Depot had to give me over $400 off a bunch of 6x6x12 years ago because they were treated to same percentage as Lowes but they were like $4 cheaper.  I was building a retaining wall - that's why I needed so many.
Interesting... I would definitely buy this item from Home Depot if they are the same quality.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky