Squirrel Sausauge?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
70% squirrel 30% pork butt is how I would do it. Then just make whatever sausage you want
Sounds like a good starting point for sure!

I just have one question, just how many tree rats do you shoot each year?  Gonna take a lot of those critters to make much sausage!  
icon_eek.gif

Sounds like a good starting point for sure!

I just have one question, just how many tree rats do you shoot each year?  Gonna take a lot of those critters to make much sausage!  :icon_eek:
I'm going to guess you'd need around 8-10 to make a 5# batch.
Hope they haven't been eating Walnuts....

And fox squirrels are the big guys, not like the grey's. Everything bigger in Texas they say.......maybe the squirrels are too!!:th_roflmao:

They don't last long around my place. I live in a neighborhood that supports feral cats. We trap them, have em spayed/neutered and then turn them loose in the hood again. They keep the squirrels and rabbit populations quite low! :biggrin:

Seriously though, as far as I know, we only have grays around here.

I'd like to hear the results, as I've been a squirrel hunter for decades.  They are very tasty; I typically brine and cool smoke mine, then brown in goose or duck fat, and pressure can with wild rice.  It takes about 30 seconds to prepare a great squirrel meal; open the jar and microwave for 30 seconds!

Here ya go, haven't tried it but might. CF
Code:
Game Meat SausagesMight want to add some pork fat, squirrel meat is pretty lean.     2 feet sheep casings      2 pounds squirrel meat      1 tsp salt      1/2 tsp freshly ground white pepper      2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts      1/8 tsp mace      1/8 tsp cardamom      1/8 tsp allspice Prepare casings. Mix ingredients and grind through the fine disk. grind again and stuff into casings. Twist off into 2 inch links like cocktail franks.cook by steaming or simmering for about 30 minutes. Could make larger link and cook on the grill

Last edited:
Are you going to teach those cats to bring them to you?

I never put a cat caught squirrel in the freezer, but dove is another story....

Just over a year ago I lost my shop cat. Ol Buster would bring me presents on a regular basis. Squirrel, rabbit, field mice, and lizards, but his favorite thing to do was bring me live dove! My bride HATED opening the door to the garage in the mornings, she never knew what was going to be on the door mat!

OMG, how did I miss this. I love squirrel sausage. This is what I do. 10 -15 grays should give you around 4 lbs or meat. At least in NY anyway. I mix 20-25 % fatty pork to squirrel. I use Mortons meatloaf and sausage mix. I don't stuff. I patty the mix.

I love the Mortons meatloaf and sausage mix. I've made squirrel, venison, pork and bear sausages. Yes bear... it's some of the best stuff I've shoved in my mouth. Lol.

I label my squirrel sausage "tree rat" sausage when I vac seal it. Lol it grosses my wife out..lol.

OMG, how did I miss this. I love squirrel sausage. This is what I do. 10 -15 grays should give you around 4 lbs or meat. At least in NY anyway. I mix 20-25 % fatty pork to squirrel. I use Mortons meatloaf and sausage mix. I don't stuff. I patty the mix.

I love the Mortons meatloaf and sausage mix. I've made squirrel, venison, pork and bear sausages. Yes bear... it's some of the best stuff I've shoved in my mouth. Lol.

I label my squirrel sausage "tree rat" sausage when I vac seal it. Lol it grosses my wife out..lol.

I knew I liked you! :sausage:

This is an interesting thread. I've been thinking about doing the same thing only making a spicy beef stick type sausage out of them.

I haven't hunted in years but I always enjoyed hunting squirrels, and been thinking about getting out in the woods again. Going have to do it this year.

Get
This is an interesting thread. I've been thinking about doing the same thing only making a spicy beef stick type sausage out of them.
I haven't hunted in years but I always enjoyed hunting squirrels, and been thinking about getting out in the woods again. Going have to do it this year.
get going! Seasons almost over

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky