SPUN A DUCK ON SUNDAY….FIRST TIME!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Welcome, and Yes it does go fast. 3 more days will make 14yrs. dang

The bad thing is the older you get the faster it goes!
Al

Congratulations on the rotator ride! I look forward to seeing your chick thigh thread. The duck sure looks good even if you didn’t think it tasted that way.

Thanks Peachy, I have a chicken thigh thread in my signature.
Al

Looks great Al. Sure like your set up. I doing another Judy rye this week. Gave a loaf to a friend and now he wants me to show him how to make. I normally do the SD version but may try the regular for him since he does not have starter.

Thanks a lot Brian!
I’m glad you like Judy’s rye too!
Al

Great cook Al! looks like you nailed it!

Thank-you very much!
Al

Looks Great, Al !!
Looks like that Duck was in the wrong neighborhood, and got into a Knife Fight !!
Nice Job!!
Like.

Bear

Thanks John!
Yea I sliced it up pretty good, but I wanted to make sure all the fat rendered out & get nice crisp skin.
Al

Al, Your duck/taters looks excellent, I 'd eat the pictures !

Thanks CM, I really appreciate it!
Al

Al that looks fantastic on the spit and the last picture before the carving. I only had Duck once
and I found it too oily for me . But yours I would try a bite because it does not look that oily.

Very good show and tell, thank you

David

also congrats on the ride

Thanks David,
I think by slicing the skin up like I did, the fat all rendered out, so you are right it wasn’t oily at all. It tasted like very tender chicken thighs. It’s always an honor to get on the carousel.
Al
Sure looks good Al. The PHO sounds interesting. Had a few varieties but not Duck.
I made Duck, Breasts Med/Rare and Confit Legs in a Tomato Sauce over Pasta. Most of the family said they liked the Legs but thought the Breasts tasted too Gamey to bother making again. I liked it all! Shame they are not cheaper...JJ

Thanks a lot JJ!
We didn’t find any of the duck gamey at all, and yes it is a pricey meal, especially since there is very little meat on them, compared to a chicken.
Al

Great write up for sure! I would love to try that! Looks really good!

Thank-you my friend!
Al

It's a thing of beauty Al. Nice details on the process.

Thank you very much!
I really appreciate it!
Al

Never had duck but yours looks delicious (as all your posts do)! You the man, Al!!!

Ha Ha, your too nice!
Your kind words are greatly appreciated!
Al

Reactions: DRKsmoking
I missed this yesterday. Great post, Al!
Like you I just always wanted to try one and I'm always trying to think of something to use the spinner for.
It was good but not that impressive and though I'll probably never do another I"m glad I finally tried it.
I never thought about scoring the skin.
Dan

I missed this yesterday. Great post, Al!
Like you I just always wanted to try one and I'm always trying to think of something to use the spinner for.
It was good but not that impressive and though I'll probably never do another I"m glad I finally tried it.
I never thought about scoring the skin.
Dan
First of all thank you for the compliment!
I’m kinda with you Dan, it just didn’t wow me like I thought it would, however scoring the skin let all that rendered fat out & I got a nice crispy skin. But honestly I think I’ll just stick to chicken thighs. I really have those down & in my opinion they are better than the duck. But I guess I’m a bit prejudiced. For the price I paid I was expecting something spectacular, so maybe my expectations were too high.
Al
Al, that duck looks good. I was thinking about trying duck, but I may pass. Wife is not a fan, and I need to feed her or she get ornery.

Thank you,
Well we both know that you gotta keep Mama happy, give her what she likes. I do it all the time, even if I don’t like it I eat it & smile!
Al

Thanks brother

Reactions: bakerman
. Wife is not a fan
Totally understand. I've lost track of the things I've mentioned trying and was told she didn't like it.
When I asked if she'd had it she just says "No but I just know I wouldn't like it."
I'm old enough to know not to argue with logic like that. It's a lose-lose...

Reactions: bakerman
Looks like you did a great job. At least now you can say you did it, whether or not you ever make it again. I've never made duck in any form. May do so someday but like you I love doing the chicken thighs.
Totally understand. I've lost track of the things I've mentioned trying and was told she didn't like it.
When I asked if she'd had it she just says "No but I just know I wouldn't like it."
I'm old enough to know not to argue with logic like that. It's a lose-lose...
Very Nice Al! You got to have a little variety some times.
This looks like a great cook. Nailed it- well done!

Thanks a lot guys!
Al

Wow great write up and cook Al !
I'm not much for duck but I'd definitely try yours.
And congrats on the ride !

Keith

Wow great write up and cook Al !
I'm not much for duck but I'd definitely try yours.
And congrats on the ride !

Keith

Thank you very much Keith!
I thought the duck would be fantastic, but it did not reach my expectations.
It was very good, but dark meat chicken or turkey is just as good, and the price is much cheaper than the duck. May try a couple of duck breasts seared in a hot pan, if I can buy just the breasts, would like to try them rare/med rare. Will keep an eye out at the grocery store.
Al

Looks great Al but like you I was not blown away with it. I did some duck breast on open fire at the last Pa gathering and the guys were not totally blown away with it either. Those breast were $15.00 lb.

Warren

Yea it was not what I was expecting. I thought it would be something special. Not to say it wouldn’t be good, and it was good, but not the spectacular taste I was looking for. As I said before, I will try to find a couple of duck breasts, so I can cook them in a pan, rare/med rare. This will be my next project.
Al

Its a strange world we live in, turkeys are cheap, cornish hens cost more than chickens and you have to pay that much for the loser of a Duck knife fight! LOL.... Al I love game ducks, and have upon occassion had a store bought Peking, but I'll stick with whats in season.

It looks really good. I have tried and have heard raves for scoring to get the fat out (even from Ms. Julia), but I generally bake or smoke 'em and have never had a problen with the rendering. The fat is the nector of the Gods. The best I ever did was whole Wood Ducks stuffed with a Yankee stuffing, croutons, nuts with some salt, pepper, sage and cranberries or any fruit. Low and slow

I have never had duck were it was as impressive as the price should suggest. I have yet to try asian deep fried and smoked, cracklin skin and all that. But willing to try it.

BTW I have the same problem with bought rabbits, fish, etc etc... Oh let us not forget oxtails too! LOL I can't for the life of me understand why they would charge more for a duck than a turkey/chicken. I mean the farmer is happier to kill those noisy ducks!

Your preparation and presentation look outstanding. Sorry it wasn't what you anticipatied. I bet no one noticed but you though.

Its a strange world we live in, turkeys are cheap, cornish hens cost more than chickens and you have to pay that much for the loser of a Duck knife fight! LOL.... Al I love game ducks, and have upon occassion had a store bought Peking, but I'll stick with whats in season.

It looks really good. I have tried and have heard raves for scoring to get the fat out (even from Ms. Julia), but I generally bake or smoke 'em and have never had a problen with the rendering. The fat is the nector of the Gods. The best I ever did was whole Wood Ducks stuffed with a Yankee stuffing, croutons, nuts with some salt, pepper, sage and cranberries or any fruit. Low and slow

I have never had duck were it was as impressive as the price should suggest. I have yet to try asian deep fried and smoked, cracklin skin and all that. But willing to try it.

BTW I have the same problem with bought rabbits, fish, etc etc... Oh let us not forget oxtails too! LOL I can't for the life of me understand why they would charge more for a duck than a turkey/chicken. I mean the farmer is happier to kill those noisy ducks!

Your preparation and presentation look outstanding. Sorry it wasn't what you anticipatied. I bet no one noticed but you though.

Thank you very much Kevin!
I hope you came out alright with those storms. Looks like you got a bunch of rain, hope you didn’t get any damage or loose power.
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky