SPOG

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

6GRILLZNTN

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 12, 2018
Murfreesboro, TN
I know everyone has their own opinion on this, but what is your preferred ratio? I've seen 2-1-1-1, 4-1-1-1, etc.

I hope everyone has a Happy Holiday!

Dave

Mine is 1, 1, 1, 1. And I put it in a smallish one of those Cheese shakers. (bigger holes)
Salt - Regular Iodized Table salt
Black Pepper - Fine ground
Onion Powder - as in Onion Powder.
Garlic Powder - as in Garlic Powder.

My thought was to make my SPOG on the finer side of life. And it tastes good to me.

For many other things, I prefer to used Granulated Garlic for it's texture. Or if I want to elevate a flavor (like Garlic) I can sprinkle on some granulated.

But that's my "Magic Formula". Just one of each.

Reactions: 6GRILLZNTN
Again my favorite thing to say is it all comes down to personal preference. By this I mean it depends on your taste do you like the pepper heavy on food or a lot of garlic maybe more onion or salt so you build it according to your personal taste.

Warren

Reactions: 6GRILLZNTN
Lite on the salt. Heavy on the pepper. Onion, garlic in between. So I guess it would be 1-10-3-3. And then I change up depending on the meat. Stick with probably 3 versions.
But for serious cuts. S/P only. Why cover up the taste of a good cut of beef of pork.

I only use spog on beef. So I am HEAVY on the black pepper. Probably 20 to 1 compared to the salt. Black pepper is fantastic on brisket and roasts. So maybe 20-1-3-3. That’s a guess as i never measure anything. Wife thinks everything is too salty no matter what so I’m always light on that or I’d go heavier.

Scott

I couldn't even begin to figure out what the ratio is. I sprinkle each on separatly until I get the color I'm looking for. I will say pepper is the most dominate, followed by salt. Onion and garlic are about even.

Chris

I decided to check mine last time I batched some up.
1 TBS of each worked great for me. Balanced.

I was reading one of Al's older posts about Pork Loin, where he just did a simple SPOG rub.
I had a little Loin thawed out and SPOG'd it and Air Fryer fried it at 25 minutes. (Turned it over in the middle)
Perfect, to my tastes. Juicy, and great flavor.
Simply delisiouso.

When you've been doing it for so long. Eyes and a hand become the measuring spoons.

Truer words couldn't be spoken, especially when your taught to cook from your grandma and ma. Who both owned measuring cups and spoons, but never really used them. That also might explain why I don't bake.

Chris

Reactions: lovethemeats
Thanks for taking the time to reply everyone. I've typically used commercial rubs for my smokes, but wanted to be able to vary the ingredients, and use stuff I already have on hand. Lots of good ratios out there.

Dave

No ratio for SPOG here as I don't normally keep SPOG mixed like I do Pork or Chicken rubs.
And I've not experimented with proportions to get a taste profile that I prefer like I have with the rubs.
Normally I put SPOG on by the individual spice and just eye it according to how much of which flavor(s) I want.
I very much prefer granulated onion and garlic to powder for seasoning mixes/rubs, unless it is for a sauce, then I will use a powder if I have it.

Reactions: lovethemeats
Thanks for taking the time to reply everyone. I've typically used commercial rubs for my smokes, but wanted to be able to vary the ingredients, and use stuff I already have on hand. Lots of good ratios out there.

Dave
Its better to make your own than store bought. You'll find a couple blends that really taste great on what ever your smoking and never look back. Plus if your looking for change. In here there are more kinds of rubs in this site than any store could have on their shelves. Just have to look or ask.
Good luck.
Rob

Reactions: SonnyE
Its better to make your own than store bought. You'll find a couple blends that really taste great on what ever your smoking and never look back. Plus if your looking for change. In here there are more kinds of rubs in this site than any store could have on their shelves. Just have to look or ask.
Good luck.
Rob

That's what my Sonny's Secret Seasoning is. A blend of all the stuff I use to put on individually.
I have both Granulated and Powdered prepared Garlic, Powdered Onion, and some home made onion powder that is out of this world with onion taste and smell. I dehydrated onions the wife said to throw out.
Cut away any bad stuff, kept the good stuff, and dehydrated at 165°. Then pulverized in a coffee grinder.

But one day with an armload of seasonings it hit me. Why not just mix the stuff in an empty container, then shake it on?
It worked for me.
I use that dry mix added to Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce to make my paint for my grilled Baby Back Ribs.

To each his own. But I would encourage one tries blending their favorite seasonings to make a signature rub.

I am similar to uncle eddie uncle eddie no O just SPG. It may surprise you but when famous pitmasters are telling you their ratios it's not volume but weight. Try making it next time 1:1:1 by weight. And if you don't have a scale, get one. They're like $10. Game changer. Also, when rocking a KISS rub like SPG fresh ground pepper from corns is a must. Also a game changer. There is no garlic powder in the house, only granulated garlic. Yes again, game changer.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky