Spit Roasted Prime Sirloin Roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
"Larding" is a term for inserting fat strips to leaner meat cuts before roasting.
I got a small rib roast that is a touch lean but has enough fat to lard in for the fake prime juiciness.
Don't eat ham anymore, but I wasn't fond of the cuts with a clove pushed in the puncture. The concentrated flavor was too much for me.
Garlic mellows as it cooks, but I truly feel you would do better with a garlic horseradish sauce to let the eaters choose the level of flavor.
I hear ya on the 20-degree weather. Christmas day here is supposed to be 48-degrees, so, we'll see. Fortunately it is cryovaced and label says good until 30 December so if the forecast doesn't look right I can adjust my plan - Monday and Tuesday (59 and 60-degrees) might be better.

I've watched a couple decent YouTube videos on butchering a whole top sirloin so I think I should be able to trim it into a nice huge roast, possibly with a few small steaks and some ground meat left over.

I am curious - what is your opinion of slitting and inserting whole garlic cloves here and there?
You might want to slice the garlic into smaller slivers to poke in your slits. I've done this and didn't think the garlic flavor was very strong. But I like garlic (have already used my 50 heads I picked last spring). The horseradish sauce is a good idea though.
Good luck.

Reactions: Retired Spook
You might want to slice the garlic into smaller slivers to poke in your slits. I've done this and didn't think the garlic flavor was very strong. But I like garlic (have already used my 50 heads I picked last spring). The horseradish sauce is a good idea though.
Good luck.
Definitely planning on a sour-cream/mayonnaise/horseradish sauce for sure.

Really looking forward to seeing the final outcome. When I started buying subprimals from CPB, it was an interesting process learning how to break them down. There are several different ones I get and all are different. Keeps things fun :emoji_wink:
The label says tri tip but is is a whole prime top sirloin for $7.99/pound which is not bad compared to everything else they're selling in HEB Bastrop right now.
Wow...it you're in Bastrop you're only about an hour from me. Matter of fact I was there early yesterday morning for an inspection. Small world I guess.

Robert

Really looking forward to seeing the final outcome. When I started buying subprimals from CPB, it was an interesting process learning how to break them down. There are several different ones I get and all are different. Keeps things fun :emoji_wink:

Wow...it you're in Bastrop you're only about an hour from me. Matter of fact I was there early yesterday morning for an inspection. Small world I guess.

Robert
Not in Bastrop but it is the closest place to shop without driving into the dreaded Austin.

Reactions: evilpsych
Not in Bastrop but it is the closest place to shop without driving into the dreaded Austin.

Amen to that! Driving in Austin is considered a "contact sport" We only brave it for concerts and our yearly Truluck's fix!
I'm with you guys 100%. Unfortunately though I'm in Austin almost every day. The upside is that I go in very early, ahead of the idiots, get my stuff done, and am gone before the sun comes up.

I saw a bumper sticker on a car going down 35 not long ago. It said "I'm a veterinarian so that gives me the right to drive like an animal". That really got me to thinking about how many proctologists there in this town :emoji_laughing:

Robert

I'm with you guys 100%. Unfortunately though I'm in Austin almost every day. The upside is that I go in very early, ahead of the idiots, get my stuff done, and am gone before the sun comes up.

I saw a bumper sticker on a car going down 35 not long ago. It said "I'm a veterinarian so that gives me the right to drive like an animal". That really got me to thinking about how many proctologists there in this town :emoji_laughing:

Robert
The way people drive is a window into a person's soul, and the soul of their community...

The way people drive is a window into a person's soul, and the soul of their community...
I got hit by an old ass lady driving a car this morning in the dollar general parking lot. Landed on her hood. I'm ok but the lady got out and started yelling at me. Was hard for me to remain calm and not cuss out a female senior citizen lol

I didn't even drop my 12pk of beer!

Actually, my bellwether on an individual's auto-driving habits is strongly linked to how they handle a shopping cart in the grocery store. You know, annoying things like speeding around blind corners to slam into you, or leaving their cart in the center of a narrow aisle because it's convenient to their needs and right-of-way be damned!

Ugh... don't get me started...

Reactions: TNJAKE
I had some 30 something gal back out of a spot and come damn close to getting me last week . I looked at her and kind of raised my arms , and she flipped me off . Lol .

I got hit by an old ass lady driving a car this morning in the dollar general parking lot. Landed on her hood. I'm ok but the lady got out and started yelling at me. Was hard for me to remain calm and not cuss out a female senior citizen lol

I am glad you are OK.

Actually, my bellwether on an individual's auto-driving habits is strongly linked to how they handle a shopping cart in the grocery store. You know, annoying things like speeding around blind corners to slam into you, or leaving their cart in the center of a narrow aisle because it's convenient to their needs and right-of-way be damned!

Ugh... don't get me started...
Another window into their souls.

I thought I told you to stop walking up to the drive thru! :emoji_laughing:

Ryan

Keeping my eye on the weather forecast - looking more and more like Monday might be the better day to commence this spit roast endeavor. In fact, I enjoy cold weather, much more so than the miserable hot Texas summer, but I do not want to take a chance that possible too cold temperature has negative impact on an outdoor open fire rotisserie cook.

Tangentially, imho, there is nothing like getting into a bed on a cold night, that has been heated nice and warm and toasty by a nice electric blanket - it actually makes me smile like a little kid! :emoji_laughing:

Reactions: Colin1230
You got electric blankets as a kid?!!
I think we were still using those dang scratchy Army blankets. We did get a top sheet so I had that going for me, which is nice!
It is 20 here this morning so I wouldn't be doing any outdoor cooking either!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky