Spin A Prime Rib (Old Toy Resurrected)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Macungie, PA
Spin A Prime Rib (Old Toy Resurrected)

I haven’t used this thing since I started Smoking, 10 years ago.
I quit using it when the cord started getting real hot.
Then I started Smoking, so I forgot all about it.
Then when I used the Rotisserie in my Air Fryer, and could barely fit a section of Pork Loin in, I thought about it.
So We checked it out, and the problem was in the wire right near the end, at the plug.
So We put a new Plug on the end of the wire, and now the wire doesn’t get hot any more.

I couldn’t find any info, anywhere about what Temp this Showtime Rotisserie gets to, so I did my own testing.
Turns out it Maxes Out at 333°. That’s a little higher than I like, so I’ll have to make due. I just won’t be able to get that Bark to Bark Pink that I get when I Smoke them at 220° the whole time.

So I put the small 3 lb 6 ounce Prime rib on the two spit rods, and centered it.
Then I put my usual Lea & Perrins Bold, CBP, Onion Powder, and Garlic Powder all around on it.
Then I put it in place in the Rotisserie, set it—And didn’t Forget It. LOL
It’s a good thing I started checking this thing early, because it sure didn’t take long:
At 1 hour it was at 97° IT.
At 1 hour & 10 minutes it was at 118°.
At 1 hour & 15 minutes it was at 124°, so I pulled it out & let it rest for 15 minutes.
It came out Great, but I guess I should have pulled it 5 minutes earlier @ 118°, because it could have been a bit more Rare. However it was well within My & Mrs Bear’s Preferences.
So I sliced it up Thinner than I usually slice Prime Rib, because I plan on some Sammies with the leftovers.
Mrs Bear whipped up some Taters Au Gratin & some Broccoli, and We were a couple of Happy Bears!!

For this post I’ll just add the next Day’s Breakfast.
Then I’ll post some Sammies with the leftovers at a Later (soon) Date.

This Prime Rib was Great, but I think the only time I’ll use this Rotisserie on Prime Rib will be during less than suitable weather, because this wasn’t anything like my Normal 220° Smoked Prime Rib.

Thanks for stopping By,

Bear

3 lb. 6 ounce "Choice" Prime Rib ready to Roll:
IMG_4732.jpg

Other Side:
IMG_4733.jpg

Seasoned & ready to start:
IMG_4734.jpg

Closer Look:
IMG_4735.jpg

Getting some Color:
IMG_4736.jpg

Now we're talking---Nice Bark:
IMG_4737.jpg

A 15 minute Rest:
IMG_4738.jpg

Fell apart when I removed it from the Spit:
IMG_4740.jpg

Slicing--Very Tender & Juicy:
IMG_4741.jpg

All Sliced up:
IMG_4742.jpg

Bear's First Supper:
IMG_4743.jpg

Next Morning's Breakfast:
IMG_4745.jpg

OOOOPS---Don't forget the toast, with Black Raspberry & Apricot Jelly:
IMG_4746.jpg

Nice I was thinking that was an old Ronco but see now its a Showtime. But another great Bear meal. Could have been a little rarer.

Warren

Still a fine looking meal! Not as rare as your smoked ones but you have them down to T. Will still make some fine sammies

Ryan

Nice piece of work Bear, even tho you let it go a tad long, Like! I've had a Ronco Showtime 4000 for a good 15 years, best way to cook a chicken indoors there is. I've done a bunch of small primes on mine, does a great job. One of the best things to cook on a Ronco is a boneless leg of lamb punched full of garlic, set it and forget it, come out nice and juicy. RAY

Looks good Bear! Nothing wrong with repurposing an old toy, gives you a lot of options.

Looks great Bear. Surprised the carrover temp brought it up that much! I haven't seen one of those showtime rotisserie's in years! My mom had one about 20 or 25 years ago. I remember seeing the infomercials all over tv. Might check and see if she still has it!

Reactions: chopsaw
If you twisted my arm I might could eat that !! Yeah Right Looks Fantastic

Great Jod Bear

Gary

Looks good . I just saw one of the showtime units at the Goodwill . Still in the box .
Yup , good way to do it in bad weather .

Reactions: sawhorseray
Nice I was thinking that was an old Ronco but see now its a Showtime. But another great Bear meal. Could have been a little rarer.

Warren

Thank You Warren!!
Yeah, I'm not used to cooking at 333°. I'm used to 220°.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Still a fine looking meal! Not as rare as your smoked ones but you have them down to T. Will still make some fine sammies

Ryan

Thank You Ryan.
I'll do better on the next one, if I do another one in this thing.

Bear

looks great bear, looks juicy from here. those eggs look perfect also, I shouldn't look at this stuff before supper though now i'm a lot more hungry.

Looks good . I just saw one of the showtime units at the Goodwill . Still in the box . Yup , good way to do it in bad weather .

Grab it Rich! I paid $150 for my SS model 15 years ago or more. I see used ones going for $400-$500, they don't make them anymore. It is a GREAT kitchen tool. RAY

Looks great! I actually saw one of these in a Goodwill recently and almost bought it. I should have

Yes, you should have grabbed it, they cost a small fortune now that they are no longer made. I treasure mine! RAY

Never saw one of those things before!
It sure put a nice crust on that PR.
A little too done for us, but it sure looks tender & juicy!
Al

Looks good brother
Richie

Thank You Richie!!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Nice piece of work Bear, even tho you let it go a tad long, Like! I've had a Ronco Showtime 4000 for a good 15 years, best way to cook a chicken indoors there is. I've done a bunch of small primes on mine, does a great job. One of the best things to cook on a Ronco is a boneless leg of lamb punched full of garlic, set it and forget it, come out nice and juicy. RAY

Thank You Ray!!
I gotta use it a little more than once every 10 to 15 years!!!
I remember I like using the skewers, because I like the way each skewer turns slightly on each revolution of the Rotisserie, when the little gear hits the wing of each skewer. I think that's Brilliant.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Reactions: sawhorseray
Thank You Ray!! I gotta use it a little more than once every 10 to 15 years!!! I remember I like using the skewers, because I like the way each skewer turns slightly on each revolution of the Rotisserie, when the little gear hits the wing of each skewer. I think that's Brilliant.
And Thanks for the Like. Bear [/QUOTE]

Before we moved to AZ 8 months ago my Ronco used to live on a kitchen counter, that's how much respect it got. Now it lives in the pantry and doesn't get thought of to use quite as often. I've got a six pound chicken thawed in the fridge for tonights dinner, your post inspired me to break out the Ronco, set it for 90 minutes, and forget it. I use the gloves that came with it all the time for handling hot food, and only have maybe 100 chicken ties left out of the 500 that was included, I've done a lot of yardbirds on that baby. Never used the skewers, not once. RAY

Reactions: chopsaw
Looks good Bear! Nothing wrong with repurposing an old toy, gives you a lot of options.

Thank You Xray!!
This one we have to put in the closet, above the Washer & Dryer, where it's been for about 10 years.

Bear

Looks great Bear. Surprised the carrover temp brought it up that much! I haven't seen one of those showtime rotisserie's in years! My mom had one about 20 or 25 years ago. I remember seeing the infomercials all over tv. Might check and see if she still has it!

Thank You John!!
Yup---That surprised me too, which is why it's not so Pink inside.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

If you twisted my arm I might could eat that !! Yeah Right Looks Fantastic

Great Jod Bear

Gary

Thank You Gary!!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Looks good . I just saw one of the showtime units at the Goodwill . Still in the box .
Yup , good way to do it in bad weather .

Thank You Rich!!
I think they were about $100 back when I got it, more than 12 years ago.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

looks great bear, looks juicy from here. those eggs look perfect also, I shouldn't look at this stuff before supper though now i'm a lot more hungry.

Thank You Jim!!
I know what you mean about gazing at this stuff on here!!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky