Spicy Taco Pizza!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bauchjw

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Aug 3, 2015
Alexandria, VA
Once again awesome people at SMF nudged me into a new and fun recipe! Thank you tx smoker tx smoker for inspiration with an outstanding enchilada pizza and Brokenhandle Brokenhandle for reminding me what taco pizza means to Iowans!

I grew up with Godfathers taco pizza as an exciting treat and after I moved away…..shoot, almost 30 years ago….I’d occasionally see it as a random novelty at a local pizza place in other parts of the country, but it was never really great and inevitably had refried beans, to me that is a no go for taco pizza. I think Godfathers Pizza had the recipe right. Everyone I know who moves away from Iowa has to have it when they return, Casey’s taco pizza too! So, when Robert posted his pizza, I was inspired to create a decent taco pizza modeled after my favorite Godfather’s taste. It’s simple to make, fun, and actually very tasty with a lot going on. Here you go!

Ingredients for Meat (Or your favorite taco meat seasoning):
1 Pound Ground Beef
1 small white onion diced
2 garlic cloves diced
1Tblspn Chipotle Chili powder
1 Tblspn Paprika
1.5 teaspoons cumin seed fresh ground
1/4 teaspn cayenne
1/2 teaspn salt
1/2 teaspn fresh ground pepper
1 Tablspn fire roasted/ diced green peppers
2 Tablspn tomato sauce
1/4 cup water

Prepped onion, put all dry ingredients in same bowl:
8BBD4611-DA79-472A-8A12-4603B3ACE81A.jpeg

I cooked the onions for a bit in beef tallow, not too long, then threw in the garlic for about a minute before putting the beef in to brown:
3FE19CCA-C711-4FA6-9574-CF48E105B34A.jpeg

Once the beef was browned, drained the grease, then lowered heat on stove a bit, pushed cooked meat to one side of the pan and dumped the seasoning on the other side to toast before mixing with beef, a buddies Abuela told him to do that to get the oils going in same pan before mixing with meat. I don’t know if it works, but sometimes I do it because it looks cool and that lady made the most amazing Mexican food.
2FE95165-50B2-4DC8-B6ED-059D34E69FDC.jpeg

Then added tomato sauce, water and green chilis. Cooked until sticky and water was gone. I added this last step thanks to jcam222 jcam222 and it made a noticeable improvement! I put in few small drops of white vinegar and teaspoon of brown sugar and mixed. When seasoned beef is done, turn off heat and let it sit.
EB52D476-06B0-4B46-878B-56FC7C40A544.jpeg

Pizza crust: I used store bought pre-made and formed.I recommend those with the skills to use your own handmade dough. Regular or thin. Godfathers used their regular crust. I believe crust is critical and this is something I really have to work on. Spread EVOO on the crust, then grate fresh Colby Jack. IMHO, fresh grated tastes better and is less greasy.
533E0687-4585-403B-8AB6-CB38460A6F40.jpeg

To cook, I used my Weber Kettle with Vortex upside down for an indirect area in the center, two chimneys of coal around the edge, it got very, very hot.
5F4984E1-5986-4787-8377-DE2934FF7777.jpeg

Placed the pizza in the center until it was about 1/2 way cooked (I was going by look). Then put the cooked beef on top until cheese was bubbled at the edge and crust was done.
099E7EC6-B907-44E6-B42E-AFF596CFA3D3.jpeg

Pulled and sprinkled some cilantro on meat first. Cut the pizza before putting the remainder of toppings on!
C01FD4F8-70C3-4CAC-BEC7-7B6E2C9C8271.jpeg

Then sliced up some nice Romain lettuce, followed by sliced tomato.
9D1E7509-0495-4508-B2C0-B37CB8DD2C35.jpeg

Finally the last topping, and what makes this unique and essential in my opinion….. crushed original Doritos. Top with Taco Bell Hot Sauce!
2ADF0C2C-EBE1-48A4-ADE1-E19771449DB8.jpeg

Cooking cheese on bottom gives you the gooey cheese in every bite and you don’t loose the cheese off the top. The Spicy/fatty beef sits on it perfectly with that smooth and herby cilantro, followed by the cool refreshing romaine and tomatoes, and finally a wonderful, salty Dorito crunch, all dripping with the taco sauce.
D66384BA-E761-497E-BC79-FA6B0FAD0F05.jpeg

The sliced Shot. This is one of my favorite things I’ve made in a long time. It’s a nostalgic taste for me, but my wife loved it too and she doesn’t have the nostalgia baggage! I think this is a stand up family diner that anyone who likes Tex mex and pizza will love! Highly encourage a go!
Key to this style pizza:
-Cheese, fresh grated Colby, on bottom
-Good taco meat
-hot pizza topped with cool lettuce (iceberg or romaine) and fresh sliced tomato
-Crushed Doritos, original
-Taco Bell hot Sauce.

Thanks again to Robert, tx smoker tx smoker for his enchilada pizza inspiration!

thanks for your time!

Attachments

• 92E590A1-ED1E-4245-ADF1-395B0B7CC80B.jpeg
    92E590A1-ED1E-4245-ADF1-395B0B7CC80B.jpeg
    237.4 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Once again awesome people at SMF nudged me into a new and fun recipe! Thank you tx smoker tx smoker for inspiration with an outstanding enchilada pizza and Brokenhandle Brokenhandle for reminding me what taco pizza means to Iowans!

I grew up with Godfathers taco pizza as an exciting treat and after I moved away…..shoot, almost 30 years ago….I’d occasionally see it as a random novelty at a local pizza place in other parts of the country, but it was never really great and inevitably had refried beans, to me that is a no go for taco pizza. I think Godfathers Pizza had the recipe right. Everyone I know who moves away from Iowa has to have it when they return, Casey’s taco pizza too! So, when Robert posted his pizza, I was inspired to create a decent taco pizza modeled after my favorite Godfather’s taste. It’s simple to make, fun, and actually very tasty with a lot going on. Here you go!

Ingredients for Meat (Or your favorite taco meat seasoning):
1Pound Ground Beef
1 small white onion diced
2 garlic cloves diced
1Tblspn Chipotle Chili podse
1 Tblspn Paprika
1.5 teaspoons cumin seed fresh ground
1/4 teaspn cayenne
1/2 teaspn salt
1/2 teaspn fresh ground pepper
1 Tablspn fire roasted/ diced green peppers
2 Tablspn tomato sauce
1/4 cup water

Prepped onion, put all dry ingredients in same bowl:
View attachment 528195
I cooked the onions for a bit in beef tallow, not too long, then threw in the garlic for about a minute before putting the beef in to brown:
View attachment 528196
Once the beef was browned, drained the grease, then lowered heat on stove a bit, pushed cooked meat to one side of the pan and dumped the seasoning on the other side to toast before mixing with beef, a buddies Abuela told him to do that to get the oils going in same pan before mixing with meat. I don’t know if it works, but sometimes I do it because it looks cool and that lady made the most amazing Mexican food.
View attachment 528198
Then added tomato sauce, water and green chilis. Cooked until sticky and water was gone. I added this last step thanks to jcam222 jcam222 and it made a noticeable improvement! I put in few small drops of white vinegar and teaspoon of brown sugar and mixed. When seasoned beef is done, turn off heat and let it sit.
View attachment 528199
Pizza crust: I used store bought pre-made and formed.I recommend those with the skills to use your own handmade dough. Regular or thin. Godfathers used their regular crust. I believe crust is critical and this is something I really have to work on. Spread EVOO on the crust, then grate fresh Colby Jack. IMHO, fresh grated tastes better and is less greasy.
View attachment 528206
To cook, I used my Weber Kettle with Vortex upside down for an indirect area in the center, two chimneys of coal around the edge, it got very, very hot.
View attachment 528200
Placed the pizza in the center until it was about 1/2 way cooked (I was going by look). Then put the cooked beef on top until cheese was bubbled at the edge and crust was done.
View attachment 528201
Pulled and sprinkled some cilantro on meat first. Cut the pizza before putting the remainder of toppings on!
View attachment 528202
Then sliced up some nice Romain lettuce, followed by sliced tomato.
View attachment 528203
Finally the last topping, and what makes this unique and essential in my opinion….. crushed original Doritos. Top with Taco Bell Hot Sauce!
View attachment 528204
Cooking cheese on bottom gives you the gooey cheese in every bite and you don’t loose the cheese off the top. The Spicy/fatty beef sits on it perfectly with that smooth and herby cilantro, followed by the cool refreshing romaine and tomatoes, and finally a wonderful, salty Dorito crunch, all dripping with the taco sauce.
View attachment 528205
The sliced Shot. This is one of my favorite things I’ve made in a long time. It’s a nostalgic taste for me, but my wife loved it too and she doesn’t have the nostalgia baggage! I think this is a stand up family diner that anyone who likes Tex mex and pizza will love! Highly encourage a go!

thanks for your time!
Oh man I haven’t had Godfather’s pizza in forever. Thought they all closed? Maybe just in MN. Your pizza looks darn tasty. I want a slice!

Reactions: bauchjw
That looks awesome Jed! Now I really seem to have a craving for taco pizza! I doubt Godfathers or Caseys can hold a candle to your pizza!

Ryan

Taco pizza, I haven't had a good one in a long time. Yours looks fantastic Jed.
Many thanks for the recipe and instructions.

Fantastic rendition!

There's still a few Godfathers around my area ...guaranteed none of them produce anything like this!

Jed that is one nice taco pizza! It’s something that I’ve never ordered around here but I absolutely love the addition of the fresh ingredients on top plus cutting your slices before topping. Very nice!

You know who would really like this? SmokinVOLfan SmokinVOLfan ,he’s the sole reason Taco Bell doesn’t keep their sauces on the counter anymore and they make you ask for them now. This guy just mainlines those little packets:emoji_laughing:

Oh man I haven’t had Godfather’s pizza in forever. Thought they all closed? Maybe just in MN. Your pizza looks darn tasty. I want a slice!
Thank you! Yes, I think a lot of them closed, but when I go back to visit family there is still a few. Spirit Lake and Cedar Falls each still have a Godfathers anyway. Again, it's a lot of nostalgia for me, but I really like their pizza. However, I will say that I think this taco pizza is awesome and not just nostalgia. A legit crust would take it over the top! Thank you again! If you are ever in the Alexandria area I'll make you a slice!

Looks phenomenal!! I’d love it for sure. Thanks for the shout out too.
Thank you Jeff! That vinegar and sugar touch to Tomato base dishes was a game changer for me. I became a bit obsessed with reading about it after your tomato soup recipe and was surprised that something so commonly used by trained or professional cooks isn't more openly discussed in recipes and elsewhere. From one article, Balsamic Vinegar is a common "secret" touch to most tomato base competition chilis. Thank you for the education!

Looks great Jed and thanks for the recipe!
Great plate shot !
Keith
Thank you Keith! Its a really fun recipe to try and it tastes great!

That looks awesome Jed! Now I really seem to have a craving for taco pizza! I doubt Godfathers or Caseys can hold a candle to your pizza!
Ryan
Haha, Thank you Ryan, I appreciate the compliment! I didn't include a story about driving my family back to Virginia from Thanksgiving at home and talking to a newly married couple in a Pennsylvania Truck stop, who were also going back east from Iowa. Tthe new Bride asked me "What's up with Iowans and Taco Pizza, that was the first thing he wanted to get when we got there?" :emoji_laughing: All her husband and I could say was "It's delicious!" and my wife said "I know, it's always the first thing he wants when we get back there too!"

That looks fantastic . Love that cold topping on a taco pizza . Nice work on that .

Looks great, I would chow down on that. Two of my favorite foods, pizza and tacos. I see you have the circulon pan, we have a set given to us as an engagement present 27 years ago and they are still in use today.

Taco pizza, I haven't had a good one in a long time. Yours looks fantastic Jed.
Many thanks for the recipe and instructions.
Thank you Colin! It's been one of my favorite cooks lately . . . I wasn't as happy with the crust, hopefully you have a go and improve on that part! I appreciate the compliment and your time!

Happy Joe’s makes a great taco pizza too. Yours looks awesome!!
They do! The Happy Joe's in my Home town went out of business when I was very young, but I do remember theirs being awesome as well! Thank you!

Jed, that is a great looking Taco Pizza. The last shot Fantastic. I bet it tasted great
David
Thank you David! It was very tasty!

Fantastic rendition!
There's still a few Godfathers around my area ...guaranteed none of them produce anything like this!
Very appreciated KC! I think you have to ask them for extra sauce and Chips now! The last one I got was a little pathetic, to be honest. I hope if you have a go you'll enjoy it! Thank you for your time!

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Alrighty Jed, finally getting on board here. That looks absolutely fantastic!! I love the addition of the Doritos. That would have gone really well for adding some texture to the "pizza". One thing I might mention though. You said you added the spices, cooked the meat, then drained it. I'd recommend cooking and draining the meat before adding the spices. If you add the spices first you lose a lot of it when the meat is drained. Sure, you can taste and adjust but it takes less adjustment if you add the spices after the meat is cooked. I love what you've done here though!! Can't wait to see what you come up with next :emoji_wink:

Robert

Jed that is one nice taco pizza! It’s something that I’ve never ordered around here but I absolutely love the addition of the fresh ingredients on top plus cutting your slices before topping. Very nice!

You know who would really like this? SmokinVOLfan SmokinVOLfan ,he’s the sole reason Taco Bell doesn’t keep their sauces on the counter anymore and they make you ask for them now. This guy just mainlines those little packets:emoji_laughing:
Thank you Ray! It’s definitely worth a try if it’s done right. I’ve tried a few that, in my opinion, are done wrong…especially if there’s beans!

🤣When my wife and I started dating she’d make fun of me for the drawer filled with Taco Bell hot sauce packets! I do love the stuff! When we got married she threw out all the packets and started buying me the bottles of it, I didn’t even know they sold that in a bottle until she got it for me! If SmokinVOLfan SmokinVOLfan PMs me his address I’ll send a few bottles🤣🤣

Man..that looks really good!
LIKE!
Thank you! You honestly don’t need all your teeth for it either!

That looks fantastic . Love that cold topping on a taco pizza . Nice work on that .
Thank you! The fresh cold on the spicy and hot with the layers of texture and flavor are really good!

Looks great, I would chow down on that. Two of my favorite foods, pizza and tacos. I see you have the circulon pan, we have a set given to us as an engagement present 27 years ago and they are still in use today.
Thank you! You’re welcome anytime! It is two very awesome, delicious foods! Done right, they are killer together too!

The circulon is an awesome pan. We use it all the time, the only thing I don’t like about it is my stress when I see my wife pick up a metal spoon/fork when she’s using it! She rolls her eyes, but I know I’m right!

Man that looks great Jed. We are having tacos tonight and now I wish it was on a pizza lol
Haha! Thank you Jake! It’s a quick pivot! You only need pizza dough if you have all the other taco stuff! I appreciate it!

Alrighty Jed, finally getting on board here. That looks absolutely fantastic!! I love the addition of the Doritos. That would have gone really well for adding some texture to the "pizza". One thing I might mention though. You said you added the spices, cooked the meat, then drained it. I'd recommend cooking and draining the meat before adding the spices. If you add the spices first you lose a lot of it when the meat is drained. Sure, you can taste and adjust but it takes less adjustment if you add the spices after the meat is cooked. I love what you've done here though!! Can't wait to see what you come up with next :emoji_wink:
Robert
Very appreciated Robert! And I especially appreciate the motivation with your killer enchilada pizza! I definitely will be trying yours! I probably communicated it wrong, but I did add the spice after I drained the meat! Good call! Dumping out all that flavor would be a bummer!
Thank you for the guidance!

Thanks - nice post! We're going to do homemade pizza on our new Pitts & Spitts 1250 tonight - might just have to try this!
I hope you do! Please let me know how it goes! Thank you!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky