Detroit Style of Pizza

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Chris_in_SoCal

Master of the Pit
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Feb 18, 2012
SCV - So Cal
I made some poolish on Friday and enough dough for a few pizza's on Saturday. I let it ferment another night in the fridge.

2023_detroit_pizza_001.jpg

I bought a 9 x 9 steel pan that would fit in my Ooni pizza oven but we are being hit with Santa Ana winds today so I brought the stone from my Ooni into the oven.

Fixin' it up the way I want it. Pepperoni, 75% mozerella 25% white cheddar, Yo Momma's spicy marinara, more pepperoni, fresh basil and Herbs D excellence.

2023_detroit_pizza_002.jpg

After 16 minutes at 500* I pulled the pizza out of the pan and put it directly on the stone for 5 more.

2023_detroit_pizza_003.jpg

Yay! nice fluffy bread crust.

2023_detroit_pizza_004.jpg

Looks great!! Back in my business traveling days I'd stay in Warren Mi at times near the GM design center. There was a place there that had amazing pizza like this. You nailed it.

Reactions: Chris_in_SoCal
Had my first pizza when I was a little kid somewhere in Detroit, bought my first when I was 16 at Big Ed's in Oak Ridge Tn, rode my motor cycle parked on the side walk, young gal took my order for a small pie and a beer, Big Ed came over and asked what I wanted to drink, told him coke would be fine :emoji_laughing: he said thats what I thought lol. love all of it but diabetic these days and try to stay with thin crust to cut carbs. It's tricky making them at home have burned a few trying without a stone, not sure that would help me or not.

That's one fine looking pizza right there Chris. Very nice!! We prefer thin crust ut I gotta admit, that homemade dough for your thick cruct looks downright tantalizing.

Robert

I usually eat thin crust myself but once in a while a thick one is great. I grew up with Numero Uno in California which is a Chicago thick crust.

The winds are a little crazy here so I woke up at 7am and had another brick of pizza and a Japanese egg sandwich my wife made.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky