Spicy Pepperoni

Discussion in 'Sausage' started by nepas, Aug 15, 2011.

1. nepas

nepas Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I need to use up some of the frozen meat in the freezer so i'm making 2 lbs of spicy pepperoni.

Here is the mix for 2 lbs. If you want a larger batch just double the recipe.

You need.

2 lbs of either 80/20 or 85/15 GB

2 tsp black pepper

2 tsp mustard seed

1 1/2 tsp crushed fennel seed. You can use powdered fennel 1 tsp but do a taste test of the mix. If you feel it needs more fennel add 1/4 tsp.

2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes. If you like mild use 1 tsp.

1/2 tsp garlic powder

1/2 tsp sugar

3 Tbs water (add all the dry to the water)

NOTE: I didnt add salt because i am going to use 2 heaping tsp of MTQ. (I really hate MTQ but need to use it up) If you want to use cure #1 and omit the MTQ you will need to add 3 tsp non iodized salt.

OPT: 2 synthetic 1 lb casings or 1 large 3 lb

2 tsp liq smoke if your not going to use a smoker.

You can also roll the pepperoni into like fattys and cook @ 170-200* on a racked cookie sheet for 8 hours or stuff and smoke them in your smoker @170 until you get an IT of 155. Yes you can use the casings in your oven. My oven goes low to 170.

Mix the ingredients to the meat and fridge for 1 day but no longer than 3 days. Your choice

Going to cover the mix and wait for meat to thaw.

[​IMG]

I will be doing smaller batches of smokes to use up my freezer stash.

2. slownlow

slownlow Smoking Fanatic

Thanks so much for this recipe.  I'm going to try this out very soon. [​IMG]

3. solaryellow

solaryellow Limited Mod Group Lead

If you omit TQ and use cure #1, wouldn't you also need to add 1 - 1 1/2 tsp of sugar Nepas? I am looking for a good pepperoni recipe and want to give this a try.

4. nepas

nepas Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Ahh yes

so sowwy i forgot the sugar.

5. solaryellow

Thanks for the confirmation! [​IMG]

6. jrod62

jrod62 Smoking Guru Group Lead OTBS Member

Nice :biggrin:

7. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Thanks Nepas.

All the pepperoni recipes I have seen say that for the real pepperoni taste they need to be 

slow fermented-dry & they use cure#2.

There are a lot of temp & humidity conditions that need to adhered to.

A drying time of 6-8 weeks is also needed.

I don't have the equipment to meet these various criteria.

How close to traditional pepperoni that you would find on a pizza is your recipe?

Does it taste similar or the same or close?

8. tjohnson

tjohnson Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Insider OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Cut/Pasted/Saved!

I'm gonna try this one

Todd

9. nepas

Al

Its going to be dense when sliced. The taste will be really close to pepperoni that has been dry cured with bactoferm type cures. When we get settled in GA i will get my dry fermenting fridge put back together and show some dry cured pepps with the temp and humi controllers going.

10. nepas

Since this is a small batch just do hand mixing if you can.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. nepas

Small set back [​IMG]

Casings are packed up......No worries i will improvise.

12. nepas

Ok time to improvise.

Made the pepperoni into fatty/cracker size.

[​IMG]

Using my frogmat to keep em together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In at 200* until i get an IT of 155-160*. Going with some hickory smoke.

[​IMG]

13. slownlow

slownlow Smoking Fanatic

awesome.   Good way to improvise.  [​IMG]

14. bearcarver

bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Thanks for the recipe NEPAS !!!!

I'm either missing something, or I use a different Math.

If you eliminate 2 tsp of TQ, and use cure #1 instead, you're saying you should add 3 tsp of salt & 1 to 1 1/2 tsp of sugar.

How can 2 tsp of TQ contain 3 tsp of salt & 1 to 1 1/2 tsp of sugar?

Bear

15. solaryellow

They were 2 heaping teaspoons. I based my sugar comment on the amount of salt and what a TQ substitute would contain as a ratio of cure/sugar/salt.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  16. bearcarver

Thank you for the reply, however there still couldn't be 3 tsp of salt and 1 to 1 1/2 tsp of sugar in 2 heaping tsp of TQ.

Not trying to start a fight here, but that just doesn't figure. That would be replacing 2 heaping tsp of TQ with 4 to 4 1/2 tsp of salt & sugar, because TQ has salt & sugar in it.

I'm not bickering---I'm done!

Bear

17. solaryellow

I am not sure I understand what's twisting your tail Bear. You can adjust the salt and/or sugar down. The amount of cure is the more critical part.

18. bearcarver

Of course---I didn't say it was unsafe---just wrong to say you need to add that much salt & that much sugar.

19. solaryellow

Ok. In the interest of being 100% correct would you agree that 2 heaping teaspoons is closer to 3 teaspoons? If so, then it would be 2 tsp of salt and 1 tsp of sugar.

20. bearcarver

Sounds good to me.

Bear