Spice blend shelf life

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

poolecw

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 13, 2015
About two years ago I got a great deal on a discontinued Cabelas commercial (replaced by the Carnivore) grinder. I was very enthusiastic about getting into making sausage. I purchased about $100 of various AC Legg spice blends. Fast forward two years. . I still have all those spices (unopened). Do you guys think they are still ok to use?

I'm sure they're OK to use, but might have lost a bit of their potency and changed a bit. I would not hesitate to use them. I'm not familiar with AC Legg. How were they packaged?

they will be fine, especially if they were unopened in a sealed bag.

if you got one of the cabelas commercial grinders you got a good one. I wanted one, but missed out and ended up with a carnivore series, but had used one like you have and I think I liked the commercial one better although I am perfectly happy with the carnivore.

Use em up, I had some old hi mountain seasoning (2yrs old never opened). I ground my meat and mixed one pound and did a test fry, it was good--but as usual I LIKE more seasoning than the package calls for so I added more. Also when I open a seasoning pack if I don't use it all I vac seal it again.

Legg makes good stuff. And unopened they will be fine. However if you’re still hesitant you could send them to me for testing. ;) B

Reactions: SonnyE
as said above... use them... I am in the same exact boat (almost).. same grinder (1/2 hp).. but I use sausagemaker seasonings and they come in a plastic jug with a screw on cap... when resealing I will put a layer of saran wrap over the top and put a little belly in it... I put a pinch of rice (1/2 tablespoon or so) in that belly and then screw the lid on.. NEPAS (one of the sausage gurus here on the forums) showed me that little trick... it helps keep moister out ...

Gosh, I have herbs and spices whose age I measure in decades. Some of them have lost a bit of potency, as others have already said, but they taste fine.

About two years ago I got a great deal on a discontinued Cabelas commercial (replaced by the Carnivore) grinder. I was very enthusiastic about getting into making sausage. I purchased about $100 of various AC Legg spice blends. Fast forward two years. . I still have all those spices (unopened). Do you guys think they are still ok to use?
I have a variety of whole and ground spices some over 2 yrs. old. I like whole spices better and grind as needed.then vac. seal for storage. Keeps well. the enemy to spices is age and air,vac sealing is best

Reactions: bdskelly
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky