Special Artist’s Desk (For Mrs Bear Jr)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Macungie, PA
Special Artist’s Desk (For Mrs Bear Jr)

You guys saw that Big Fold-out Storage cabinet Bear Jr made for his Wife, “Bethany”, so as soon as I saw this I thought, “I gotta show you guys this too.
It’s made of Natural Maple, with a lot of Burl included, and it’s just Beautiful.

The desk is motorized to go up & down on the 2 leg-posts, with controls (under the right side) for UP and DOWN, with 3 pre-set stopping points.

You can set it to stop at:
Position #1———for sitting on a chair to paint.
Position #2———for sitting on a Stool to paint.
Position #3———for Standing to paint.

Then as you will see below, you can slide the two sections of the Top apart.
Then the Easel rack folds out to a position in front of the Desk, at a comfortable painting position for Bethany.

About Bethany:
She has been making all kinds of Fancy Birthday Cakes for years. I had posted a few of them, but I always felt sorry for her, because having Diabetes #1 means she can’t eat her Masterpieces or any of the trimmings.

Then about 2 years ago she started Oil Painting, and I couldn’t believe how fast she learned & progressed. She watched some YouTube Videos, and next thing I knew she was painting. She knew I used to Oil Paint Scenery, so she was emailing pictures to me & asking for my Opinion. For awhile I would make a suggestion or two, and most of the time she said she had thought the same thing. So she would tweak the next one, and I couldn’t believe it——She blew right by me in her painting ability.
So a couple weeks ago, she moved to Painting Pets, and the few she has done are excellent. She did a couple friends’ dogs, her Labrador Retriever, and Our Cat “Smokey”. Bear Jr made a frame & framed Smokey, and he is hanging on our Living Room Wall.

Last I heard they were discussing her putting some of her painting on “Etsy”. Bear Jr has a lot of his Fancy Woodworking products listed on Etsy, and he could make the Frames for Her Paintings. I told them people could send them pictures of their Pets to paint. Then Bear Jr could Custom Frame them & Contract them through “Etsy”.

Enjoy!

Bear

Desk all closed up.
Note:
The desk rides up & down, by controls under Right Drawer:
0-2 2.jpeg

To Open, first Slide 2 sections of Top apart:
0-1 3.jpeg

Then the Easel rack folds out to a position in front of the Desk.
As you can see, she is currently working on a Painting of Diesel, Their Labrador Retriever:
0 3.jpeg

I tried to keep these in the order of when Bethany painted them:
0 copy 7.jpeg

unnamed-3 copy.jpeg

unnamed copy 5.jpeg

Here she got a little Fancy, with the Split Seasons:
0-1 2.jpeg

Cute:
0-2.jpeg

6-Pack:
0 2.jpeg

Bear Jr & Diesel fishing:
0-5.jpeg

Bear's Kitty "Smokey":
0.jpeg

Close-up of Smokey:
0-1.jpeg

Don't tell her I posted Diesel's Painting, because she's still working on it:
unnamed.jpg

Bethany said she needs to do a lot of detailing on this yet:
She does Outstanding "Eyes" !!!
unnamed-1.jpg

Just wow! She has a lot of talent. Am a bit envious. My father was a great painter also. It was just a hobby for him but the details he created were awesome. Some got it some don't. She is one of the lucky ones.

You really have some talented people in your family Bear, just beautiful paintings and desk.

Just wow! She has a lot of talent. Am a bit envious. My father was a great painter also. It was just a hobby for him but the details he created were awesome. Some got it some don't. She is one of the lucky ones.

Thank You Dude!!
When I was in my late 30s I broke My Collar Bone playing Ball. It wasn't healing right, because it wasn't set right, so I couldn't do much for quite awhile.
I took up Oil Painting while I was down, and We thought I was doing real good.
However Bethany got better than I used to be, real fast.
As soon as I could do other things again, I quit the painting, because it was Boring as Hell compared to the other things I always did.

Bear

She has a natural talent, Bear, and that table is awesome!
When I retired November 2018 I was looking for something to fill the winter time and took some lessons in Acrylics and enjoyed it (Also you can spend 3 hours twice a month with a bunch of women and not get in trouble with the wife). The Mrs. suggested I try oils and I never looked back.
I can tell you the detail in those pet paintings is painstaking. I don't have the patience, let alone the talent. There is a serious market for pet paintings. She's lucky she has a frame-maker at her disposal. They're expensive!! I hope Bear Jr. realizes that table will have paint spots on it, not to mention that beautiful floor....
I won't step on your post with my own paintings, but I'd like to send a pic of my "studio" so folks can see just how nice her outfit is. IMG_3659.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice bear and she is very talented. My wife is like that. Pick something up and master it. Me.......not so much

I am with Rich, that wood grain is just stellar. Art work is excellent and agree on the eyes are her best.

WOW Bear! The detail is incredible. She's very talented. That desk is awesome too. Like someone said earlier, you have a very talented and skilled Family. Big like!

John, both the artwork and the desk are beautiful. Lots of real talent in your family

Chris

Very nice art work.

Thank You Rick!!
And for the Like.

Bear

You really have some talented people in your family Bear, just beautiful paintings and desk.

Thank You Jim!!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

She has a natural talent, Bear, and that table is awesome!
When I retired November 2018 I was looking for something to fill the winter time and took some lessons in Acrylics and enjoyed it (Also you can spend 3 hours twice a month with a bunch of women and not get in trouble with the wife). The Mrs. suggested I try oils and I never looked back.
I can tell you the detail in those pet paintings is painstaking. I don't have the patience, let alone the talent. There is a serious market for pet paintings. She's lucky she has a frame-maker at her disposal. They're expensive!! I hope Bear Jr. realizes that table will have paint spots on it, not to mention that beautiful floor....
I won't step on your post with my own paintings, but I'd like to send a pic of my "studio" so folks can see just how nice her outfit is.View attachment 487688

Thank You Mose!!
They have so much room down there, it's easy to keep things neat.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

I am with Rich, that wood grain is just stellar. Art work is excellent and agree on the eyes are her best.

Thank You Sam!!!
Yeah, even I can't believe how good Diesel's eyes are.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

WOW Bear! The detail is incredible. She's very talented. That desk is awesome too. Like someone said earlier, you have a very talented and skilled Family. Big like!

Thank You Mike!!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky