Spatcocked turkey time

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Munson

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Nov 7, 2020
While I understand the temp is what matters, I’m curious as to roughly how much quicker a spatchcocked turkey cooks compared to a non-spatckcocked turkey.

Is it 1/4 of the time?
1/2 the time?

Thoughts?

I have my first attempt at a spatchcocked turkey breast on the smoker now (dry run for Thanksgiving day).

Good, bad, or ugly will post some pics when it’s done.

Here it is:

2FB7C5E1-4DDD-4947-8DF7-DE721F795D45.jpeg

While I understand the temp is what matters, I’m curious as to roughly how much quicker a spatchcocked turkey cooks compared to a non-spatckcocked turkey.

Is it 1/4 of the time?
1/2 the time?

Thoughts?

I smoked a stuffed turkey that weighed 21 lbs at about 325 and it took about 5.5 hours

Reactions: Munson
A whole, unstuffed 18-20lb turkey at 350° averages 4 to 4 and 1/2 hours.
So the answer is about half the amount of time.

I came across your Cajun Apple butter injection for turkey on this site and I used it this past weekend. It was awesome. Had to change up some of the ingredients due to a Cajun turkey being cooked besides mine. So the injection wasn’t really Cajun but it tasted awesome nonetheless.

Reactions: chilerelleno
I did a 21 lb. turkey in just a bit over 3 hours, but I parted it out & smoked it in a pan. Smoker temp around 270-280.
Al

I just did a 12 lb bird, spatchcocked, at 350 on my pellet pooper. Outside temps were in the low 50's, no humidity. Took 2 hours on the nose. I did rotate the bird every 45 minutes to keep the color even. The bird was wet brined and air dried in the frig for about seven hours (wish I had 24 hours). Try to build in a little extra time for your smoke so you don't stress too much. The bird can hold at 140 in an oven for a while if you get it done early.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Yaker

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky