• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Spatcocked turkey time

Munson

Smoke Blower
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 7, 2020
While I understand the temp is what matters, I’m curious as to roughly how much quicker a spatchcocked turkey cooks compared to a non-spatckcocked turkey.

Is it 1/4 of the time?
1/2 the time?

Thoughts?

chilerelleno

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 17, 2016
A whole, unstuffed 18-20lb turkey at 350° averages 4 to 4 and 1/2 hours.
So the answer is about half the amount of time.

Munson

Smoke Blower
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 7, 2020
I have my first attempt at a spatchcocked turkey breast on the smoker now (dry run for Thanksgiving day).

Good, bad, or ugly will post some pics when it’s done.

Boardtowndawg

Smoke Blower
Joined Dec 6, 2018
While I understand the temp is what matters, I’m curious as to roughly how much quicker a spatchcocked turkey cooks compared to a non-spatckcocked turkey.

Is it 1/4 of the time?
1/2 the time?

Thoughts?
I smoked a stuffed turkey that weighed 21 lbs at about 325 and it took about 5.5 hours

Boardtowndawg

Smoke Blower
Joined Dec 6, 2018
A whole, unstuffed 18-20lb turkey at 350° averages 4 to 4 and 1/2 hours.
So the answer is about half the amount of time.
I came across your Cajun Apple butter injection for turkey on this site and I used it this past weekend. It was awesome. Had to change up some of the ingredients due to a Cajun turkey being cooked besides mine. So the injection wasn’t really Cajun but it tasted awesome nonetheless.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
I did a 21 lb. turkey in just a bit over 3 hours, but I parted it out & smoked it in a pan. Smoker temp around 270-280.
Al

Kai Yaker

Joined Nov 15, 2020
I just did a 12 lb bird, spatchcocked, at 350 on my pellet pooper. Outside temps were in the low 50's, no humidity. Took 2 hours on the nose. I did rotate the bird every 45 minutes to keep the color even. The bird was wet brined and air dried in the frig for about seven hours (wish I had 24 hours). Try to build in a little extra time for your smoke so you don't stress too much. The bird can hold at 140 in an oven for a while if you get it done early.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Yaker

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.