• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Spatchcocking the bird

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Oct 4, 2012
I've had several requests on how to spatch a bird so here's a video that I like. If you haven't looked at Scott Rea's videos before he has some really good ones. His butchers knot tutorial is great!

Last edited:

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Oct 4, 2012

Excellent video. Spatchcocking sounds much more difficult than it really is.
Super simple to do. I prefer to use a knife and not shears. Takes me less than a minute to cut the backbone out and flatten the bird. I usually don't mess with removing the keel bone on the chickens. If its a turkey I will as it makes it easier to flatten the bird out. 

The birds I buy come with the neck so I throw  the back bone and neck into a pot for stock.

crankybuzzard

Smoking Guru
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 4, 2014

The birds I buy come with the neck so I throw  the back bone and neck into a pot for stock.
That's truly a good thing about spatchcocking, stock later!

I save them up until I have quite a few and then drop them in.  

You're right, his vids are good

smokesontuesday

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jul 25, 2014
Depends on what else I'm doing at the time, but I usually break down a case of chickens at a time into both spatched and parts for the freezer so I'm usually a knife guy. Shears work too but why clean two items instead of one.

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Oct 4, 2012

Depends on what else I'm doing at the time, but I usually break down a case of chickens at a time into both spatched and parts for the freezer so I'm usually a knife guy. Shears work too but why clean two items instead of one.
Exactly! The knife is already out and I hate cleaning shears that don't come apart!

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Oct 4, 2012

That's truly a good thing about spatchcocking, stock later!

I save them up until I have quite a few and then drop them in.  

You're right, his vids are good
I keep threatening to do his boneless chicken button recipe!

crankybuzzard

Smoking Guru
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 4, 2014
Button?  Don't recall that one!  Off to YouTube!

tropics

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 25, 2014
I've never spatched one took all the bones out a few times LOL

Richie

smokesontuesday

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jul 25, 2014

Why?  I've always put my knives, scissors etc... in the dishwasher, sharp edges down of course.
As the water inside moves around it can move the knives around blunting them on the baskets. If you have wood handled knives the heat and water is bad for the handles. 

fwismoker

Master of the Pit
Joined Dec 31, 2012

As the water inside moves around it can move the knives around blunting them on the baskets. If you have wood handled knives the heat and water is bad for the handles. 
Oh ok.  I have seen the dishwasher ruin some wooden handles but the steak knives I use have been good for 10-15 years so far.  Most of the knives I have are Victorinox and don't have wooden handles.  I think (hope) putting the knives, scissors point side down probably keeps them stable.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.