Spatchcock or beer butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I've done a far share of poultry. I say it's 6 of one or half a dozen of another. I think it just comes down to some people don't like to spatchcock the bird. Other people may not have the beer can stand (not that it's required... just easier) so they spatchcock. Both ways put out some great bird!! I read one post where a guy said that spatchcocking held his dry rub better. I can see that. It probably does. Yet another said the beer can method was fail proof on never drying out a bird. I don't know about never but he's probably right. It's less likely for sure. Like I said... IMHO, (In My Humble Opinion) it's which ever way you prefer. Now... I will say I'm a hard core, always do it, brine guy when it comes to poultry. I think that's way more important that how you decide to cook it. Again, just MHO. Good luck and be sure to post your q-view.

Thanks for the posts Smoke and rbanstner.  I never had a stand so I've never tried the beer butt.  If I had two chickens I'd do a side-by-side.  I may have to run out and get another tomorrow.

Last edited:
Hmm...I've done beer-butt yard birds...very good flavor as mentioned. You can kick things up a bit by adding freshly minced garlic, onion, chopped apple, lemon wedges, etc. into the can for additional flavors...done that myself and it does make a noticeable difference.

Haven't done spatchcock (yet), but I will say that if cooker space is an issue and time is not (it takes longer for beer-butt), a few 1/2 full 
icon_razz.gif
beverage containers, beer-butt can really help you maximize cooker space. I would think that spatchcock probably takes up about 3 times the cooker space as a standing bird, and maybe 2/3 the time to smoke.

I just quartered a couple birds a few days ago, and that was really nice for smoking it to the exact temps in the breast and thighs that I was looking for. Prep time takes only a few minutes longer.

Eric

I have done two beer can birds at a time severel times - one easy way to keep them steady and not ever need a rack is to use bamboo skewers to hold the two birds stable - just make sure there is a little room between them so they get smoke and color all over the chicken

I have done two beer can birds at a time severel times - one easy way to keep them steady and not ever need a rack is to use bamboo skewers to hold the two birds stable - just make sure there is a little room between them so they get smoke and color all over the chicken
Kind of like... smoked at the hip.

What rbranstner said.   Both are great!

Make sure they're both legal in Carlisle!

Gotta be 21 for the beer butt!
biggrin.gif

Bear

My chickens are young.  I'm not sure what the legal drinking age is for chickens though.  Tomorrow I'm doing a 4lb chicken spatchcocked and a 5.5lb chicken Dr. Pepper butt style.  I am doing two side-by-side so I can compare.  I'll add some of my rub into the can as well as under the skin (mixed with butter).  I didn't brine this chicken as I ran out of time (so it won't be a true comparison).  Then also a Boston butt, rack of ribs, and some chicken. 

meateater has it right. Poultry, wether it be yard bird or turkey is good smoked no matter how you do it! Venture brings up a good point though. lol

I've done both and I like to spatchcock more often.  The birds come out very juicy either way as long as you don't over cook them but the spatchcocked bird is easier to cut apart for serving and you never have to worry about your bird falling over or having to use an appliance to mount the bird. To me I get more even cooking with the spatchcocked bird

I've also done both. I can't say I prefer one over the other. Spatchcock does not take as long and it is very moist and flavorful. My plan this weekend is to do a spatchcock and a beer butt chicken. I will brine one and also inject one. Just want to see which one comes out better.

I wasn't able to do the beer butt because the chicken's butt was too small for even a redbull can. So I spatchcocked both and only brined one.  The one I didn't brine I injected and I think I liked that more than the brined chicken.

i've gotten mixed results using brine. I once put a chicken in brine over night and it was by far the worst chicken I ever cooked. It seems like the shorter period, such as 4 hrs or less suit my taste better.  I also like to inject, using just butter and rub.

OH really?  I thought you put it up the butt since it is called beer butt and not beer head!

Now I feel like an idiot, thanks!  No really, thanks for pointing that out.  Now I can try it!

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky