Spare ribs in the MES

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

whatamess

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 7, 2014
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Did up a rack of spare ribs on Sunday from a recipe in one of Jeff's emails for adding an extra something to the 3-2-1 method, man was it good.

Trimmed the ribs St. Louis style (excellent instructions from Jeff again). Had a jar of Memphis Dust mixed up so I applied liberally.
pavene9y.jpg

The MES hovered around 235 for the smoke and I loaded up the AMNPS with hickory and smoked for 3 hours, 2 hours foiled meat side down in a bed of brown sugar, butter and more rub, then back on the smoker and for the last hour I added some Jack Daniels barrel chips in the chip drawer. Wow these were tasty.
a9yrydu4.jpg

va7a2epa.jpg

I still had a problem with the AMNPS jumping to the second row halfway through, luckily ia caught it quickly when I saw the billowing smoke. Even though I had pellets 1/4 inch below the top. I noticed the metal on the bottom is warped under the triangle row separator from starting it with a heat gun, that metal gets cherry red. I wonder if embers are getting in and under that piece? I'll have to get it hot and try bending it back. Still having problems burning too fast I have the chip loader and drawer all the way in, I also plugged the drain hole at the back. Could be my pellets I suppose. Still comes out mighty fine eating. Thanks for looking!

Reactions: disco
I'm thinking about it, it gets too hot and burns too quick in beside the element for my liking.
Yup I know what you mean. Also with the mailbox mod you don't have to worry about keeping anything from dripping on your pellets, losing heat if you have to add pellets on a real long smoke & it won't add any heat at all when you cold smoke 
thumb1.gif

Ribs & Plate Look Great !!!

If yours is an MES 30, I would try putting a sheet (thin wall) of metal to the right of the AMNPS, between it & the chip burner assembly.

You could also make the height of the pellets even lower.

If your pellets are burning too fast too, it sounds like you're getting more air flow than any other MES---Most guys don't get enough air & mine is just right.

I would go to the Mailbox mod too, but only as a last resort.

It's so nice to not have to dick around with more things, if they aren't needed.

Bear

Ribs & Plate Look Great !!!

If yours is an MES 30, I would try putting a sheet (thin wall) of metal to the right of the AMNPS, between it & the chip burner assembly.

You could also make the height of the pellets even lower.

If your pellets are burning too fast too, it sounds like you're getting more air flow than any other MES---Most guys don't get enough air & mine is just right.

I would go to the Mailbox mod too, but only as a last resort.

It's so nice to not have to dick around with more things, if they aren't needed.

Bear

Thanks Bear I will fashion an extra heat deflector and see if that slows things down. You're right mine doesn't seem to lack air, I run it with everything closed tight. I have a chimney exhaust on it maybe it's creating more draw than normal.

Last edited:
I shield mine with aluminum foil.  Seems to work good.

Thanks all. Forgot to mention I tried sand in my water bowl for the first time and I think it made a difference in keeping my temps stable I had less swings and faster recovery. Worked well.

Thursday night or Friday I'm going to rig up a heat shield I'll see how it goes. I did a cold smoke tonight and had a little over three hours on a row, I get half that hot smoking.

Thanks all. Forgot to mention I tried sand in my water bowl for the first time and I think it made a difference in keeping my temps stable I had less swings and faster recovery. Worked well.

Thursday night or Friday I'm going to rig up a heat shield I'll see how it goes. I did a cold smoke tonight and had a little over three hours on a row, I get half that hot smoking.
Yup - sand can be a big help as you found out 
icon14.gif

With that heat shield, also put the lit end of your AMNPS on the far left, away from the heat element.

Bear

With that heat shield, also put the lit end of your AMNPS on the far left, away from the heat element.

Bear

Thanks bear that's how I've been running it so far, I wondered if turning it around so lit end is closest to element wouldn't heat the unburned pellets so much? But it sounds like you've experimented with that.

Thanks bear that's how I've been running it so far, I wondered if turning it around so lit end is closest to element wouldn't heat the unburned pellets so much? But it sounds like you've experimented with that.
That's my thinking too. The extra heat from having the lit end closer to the element can help get the lit end hot enough to jump rows.

Putting the lit end on the left, and a heat shield to the right of the AMNPS could stop that & slow it down.

Let me know how it works.

Bear

Last edited:

That's my thinking too. The extra heat from having the lit end closer to the element can help get the lit end hot enough to jump rows.

Putting the lit end on the left, and a heat shield to the right of the AMNPS could stop that & slow it down.

Let me know how it works.

Bear

Bear, I finally got around to making a heat shield. I think I have a winner. It doubled my burn time and doesn't jump anymore. It is tight to the back wall and flush with the top lip of the bottom drip tray, leaving about and inch gap at the bottom, and flush with the front of the chip tray. Take a look.

a7y4upy7.jpg

Bear, I finally got around to making a heat shield. I think I have a winner. It doubled my burn time and doesn't jump anymore. It is tight to the back wall and flush with the top lip of the bottom drip tray, leaving about and inch gap at the bottom, and flush with the front of the chip tray. Take a look.

That's Great---I figured that would help!!!
icon14.gif
icon14.gif

Looks like you're good to go now!!

Nice job on the baffle---slides right down into place---Great heat protection for the AMNPS !!!

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky